Son sick...again...

I swear it seems like my son is sick every couple weeks. He just barley got over a double ear infection and an upper respiratory tract infection a week ago and last night he was up all night with a fever and he still has one today. I have been giving him liquids and medicine but it breaks my heart knowing he is always sick. I am thinking on taking him to the doctor tomorrow and see why the hell he has another fever a week after he had more high fevers. He's fevers stay in the 102 range lowest I have seen it is 101. He has been so sick so many times the past year and doctors just brush my concerns aside. I see nothing normal about a toddler getting sick every 2-4 weeks. They are never simple colds either, always high fevers.
Did anyone go through this with their little one? Ever figure out the cause?

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Hmm, well, I'm a worrier, but if it were me I'd be pretty upset if doctors dismissed my concerns that way. I would definitely want someone to check into the possibility of a weakened immune system, even if only to rule it out. I'm no doctor though, so I really have no idea.

I know it's really tough to see your child so sick and not be able to do anything about it. My daughter has been sick for about three weeks straight, and it's hard to watch. I was so grateful when her doctors were able to diagnose the problem, so I'd probably recommend taking your little man back to the doctor too. I hope he's feeling better soon. I wish I could be more help.
    lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I didn't go through it but I'd be pretty assertive about finding out why he has a fever so often. If his primary doctor keeps brushing you off get a second or even third opinion.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:30 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Also would wonder if allergies are involved. If there are any allergies that can cause conditions ripe for breeding germs. Its also possible for people to be carriers of certain germs. See what makes sense to you, find another doctor if you feel you are not given the time and attention you need. Listen to your instincts.
    Jmomma532

Answer by Jmomma532 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• If your child is in any kind of "daycare" or "school-like" setting, it's to be expected. Your body's way of fighting the infection is fever. He could just be getting illnesses back to back which may make it seem like he's not getting better, when he really is.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 4:30 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• get a second opinion and check into allergies
    opinionatedmom

Answer by opinionatedmom at 1:32 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Poor little guy! :( Is he in day care? If so, it's possible the same germ bugs keep getting passed around. I'd ask to talk to the day care director about taking extra steps to really sterilize the place to help the germs from spreading. Whenever I have stubborn germs at my house, I open some windows (even if it's too cold, I do it just for a little while) & I wipe down all commonly touched surfaces, like door handles, faucets, the fridge, etc. Make sure he cleans his hands a lot, & takes a vitamin. Get him a new tooth brush or run it through the dishwasher to sterilize it. Hope he gets better soon & stays better. GL! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Yes, my child was sick constantly, lots of high fevers, from birth until this year -5th grade!!! We did always follow drs advice and get her checked out to take care of things like strep, infections, and once she got the stuff in her lungs. Kept in touch with her drs and nurses when she had fevers, brought her in to be examined every time requested. Yes, she was in day care, and changed schools once, so I'm sure she had tons of germs. Don't lose hope - if you feel confident the doctors are good, then hang in there. (If not, then second opinions are useful!) Some kids maybe it just takes longer for their immune system to finally gain ground and grow strong. She is a beautiful happy and healthy 11 year old now! Take care and God Bless.
    Jmomma532

Answer by Jmomma532 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• have they checked to see if he needs tubes put in his ears, that finally help my son stop getting sick all the time.
    nikihamm

Answer by nikihamm at 7:57 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• mine is 7 month and seems to be sick all the time too, its heartbreking but their immune system isnt fully developped yet so hang on ther momma... good luck !
    kokomaman

Answer by kokomaman at 8:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• i would find another doc and get a second opinion.
    aschwarz06

Answer by aschwarz06 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 17, 2011