The dreaded sex talk

At what age do you have this talk?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• not until she is about 9 or 10
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• 8 or 9
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I didn't consider it "dreaded" and it was an ongoing thing starting very young, but we had a long talk around 8-9. Some girls start their period around 9, so they definitely need to know before then and it just seemed natural to me to talk about sex (at least the basics) when we talked about her period. My kids are in 4th and 5th grade and they tell me their friends talk about it a lot at school - so kids know and it's better they hear it from their parents than each other!

Answer by missanc at 4:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I will do it this summer I think at 7. Just mechanics of the male and female bodies and the idea of sex and respecting our body. We won't go much into dating or STDs or anything like that until closer to 9 or10. I want to start early. In a study 25% of the population that was interviewed admitted to sexual relations by age 15. I want them to be well informed before the opportunity arises.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• We started when my older kids were 4 & 5 and I was pregnant. They would ask questions and I would give simple answers. As they have grown and their questions and need to understand have gotten more complex, the more complex the answer. DD and I had the period talk when she was 9, thankfully because she started when she was 10.5, just before the 5th grade "talks." Otherwise it would have been sooo traumatic for her.

So for us it's been a series of talks and simple chats. I think my 6 yr old knows more than many in his class because we are open and honest about things around here.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• between 10-12
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• This is how we handled it with our son.

There was never a single specific talk. The "talk" was an ongoing dialogue from the time he was around 4-5 to now (he will be 20 soon). It started with age appropriate things like: names of body parts, good touch bad touch, etc... It proceeded as he grew older, each stage of life more was added to the dialogue. By the time he was a teenager. He had full knowledge of: sex, sexuality, responsible and irresponsible sexual behavior, repercussions/consequences of irresponsible sexual behavior, birth control/how to use it/how to get it, accepting/respecting his own sexuality and that of others, understanding NO means NO period, understanding how to respect his partner, the emotional aspects of sex/sexuality as well. Sex and sexuality are a normal ever day part of life for everyone, so we did our best to make teaching about them a part of normal every day life as well.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 9:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2011