The hair debate

My daughter is 8 and has long hair. It is about halfway down her back. She washes it and brushes it and takes good care of it. She wants to grow it out for Locks of Love. My husband keeps trying to talk her into cutting it all off. He prefers short hair. It really irritates me that he won't let her alone. He thinks she is to young to have long hair. I say if she wants long hair and she can take care of it then let her be. Opinions?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agree with you. As long as she's taking care of it, then let her decide. It's her hair...and it's only hair.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 4:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• It's not your husbands choice. Tell him to keep his trap shut. What your daughter wants to do is amazing! Good for her!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I think its wonderful what your daughter wants to do. My husband prefers long hair on all of us, but I chopped mine off anyways, lol. Tell him to shut up and be proud of his daughter!!
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 4:50 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I'm with you....if she wants long hair and is willing to care for it, then she has the choice. It's okay for him to give his input, but not to the point to where it's becoming bothersome.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:55 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• What a wonderful giving child! There couldn't be a nicer thing to grow your hair for. You might want to show your DH the website and it probably shows some of the kids who have been helped by Locks of Love.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:20 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I have a boy. He likes his hair long. My husband is a you'll-have-a-crew-cut-til-you're-18 kind of guy. I say "It's his hair--he should have a say. So....I'm with YOU!
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• She is her own person and I feel she should choose how she wants to have her hair, whether its short or long. But I do not feel she should beable to be allowed to go crazy on how she wants her hair. But your husband should leave her alone
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 11:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I don't think anyone has the right to tell someone how to have their hair. If she is maintaining it and it is not a problem for her, there should be no issue. IMO
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 8:53 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• as long as she is taking care of it why does it matter? I had long hair when I was younger up until I had kids and then donated what was cut off to locks of love but that should be her choice not dads and if she is taking good care of it then I see no reason for her getting it cut
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2011