Lessons/extra curricular activities

My daughter is eight and takes dance. That is all. Some of the little girls in her dance class are also taking horse back riding, soccer, karate, and music lessons. Am I the only one who thinks this is insane?
My daughter wants to cheer for the local peewee football team too. They practice three nights a week plus a game. I think that is to much for that age. What do you think? Dance is one night a week. I told her she had to choose one and she chose dance. But of course all her friends get to do both.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 4:49 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids each play one sport and we have our hands full (and our schedules) just doing that. One plays soccer, which is Tues. & Sat. The other plays baseball on Mon. & Wed. It is exhausting keeping everything straight. But we have friends whose kids are doing multiple sports, sometimes in the same day.....it's just too much if you ask me.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I keep my kids' extracurricular activities to a minimum. Their friends typically have a lot more lessons and activities going on and their families are running around crazy all the time, the kids don't get enough sleep because they have to stay up doing their homework and showering because they've been gone all afternoon, every afternoon...hey whatever floats their boat, but for my family, I like to keep it simple. That means each child only has one or two extracurricular activities going on at the same time.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I definitely limit my son's extracurricular activities. 1 or 2 nights a week is plenty. He wants to do everything, but I want to make sure he isn't too tired to enjoy it!
    quietsmilie

Answer by quietsmilie at 4:55 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My kids each get to have two. They all do swimming (because it's important to learn and they enjoy it anyways). One chose basketball, one chose karate, and one chose dance. They are all one night a week. So two nights a week for each of my kids.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 5:00 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I feel that there should be a limit on how many extra activities a child should do at that age. I can see them doing 2 activities.
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 11:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• there should be a limit as to what you have your child involved in and only you knows how much they can handle and it not effect their school work
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 1:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2011