When do naps stop?

The past week my ds has been put down for nap at the same time as every other day, but the past few days he doesn't go to sleep until 2-3! He's 3 years old and sleeping until 5. Do I change what time I put him down? Do I stop making him take naps at all? Thanks

PRbyLaurie

Asked by PRbyLaurie at 5:02 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My two gave up their naps at age two. They would just play quietly in their room and not go to sleep.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:03 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• If he still needs them , give them. You will know when he needs them. My 4 year old will ocassionally be made to take a nap since she gets really cranky.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My kids will stop napping when they enter fully day kindergarten. From 1-3 here it is rest time. You don't have to sleep but you need to be in your bed. I would say 5 out of 7 days of the week all three of them sleep. They are 21months, 3.5 and 5.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 11:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My daughter is 3.5 and has barely napped since she was 2, however we still put her down for a "nap" each day, just for her to have that quiet time.......I put her down between 12 - 1 for 1.5 to 2 hrs. If he is sleeping till 5, what time does he go down at night?
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:19 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Depends on the kid. My oldest stopped shortly after turning 2. My older son stopped around 4. My middle daughter was still taking a couple naps a week up until she started full day kindergarten. My youngest daughter stopped napping around 3 1/2 although I can still get her to take an occasional nap when I see she is tired. She's 5 now.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:29 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My DD stopped taking naps when she turned 2. I would TRY to put her in her crib, and she would just climb out!!! I would take her back, put her back in her crib, tell her she didn't have to 'sleep,' but did need to spend quiet time in her crib. She would again climb out of her crib. So--I just gave up!!! When she's tired, she will curl up on the sofa and take a nap when she wants to! The added bonus to her NOT taking many naps during the day is that by the time bedtime rolls around, she is exhausted, and I have no problem getting her to go to bed!!
    Allebas

Answer by Allebas at 2:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My son is turning 6 and still naps (although sometimes for just 1/2 hour). If you think he will sleep better at night if you cut back the nap, then cut it back. If he's tired, keep it! I did find that around this age, DS preferred his nap around 2-3 instead of right after lunch. If that time works for you, change it.
    quietsmilie

Answer by quietsmilie at 6:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2011