Kids and TV

There are some shows that I just really don't want my daughter watching. Not because they are inappropriate but because they annoy me. SpongeBob is one of those. I will watch some shows with her like Good Luck Charlie. Are there any shows that are off limits in your house?

Also do you stick to the ratings for movies and stuff?? Meaning would you take an eight year old to a PG-13? A friend of mine let her kid (7) watch Jackass. I just thought that was a little young.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• I absolutely stick to ratings. I don't like Chowder (or most of the cartoon network shows for that matter) and I don't like iCarly.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 5:08 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My kids watch maybe 2-3 shows a day and they are all on PBS (they are 3 and almost 2) My kid would be allowed to watch pg-13 until they are 13 or I watch it first to see if it's okay. My brother lets he's 5 yr old watch R movies all the time.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:09 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My kids are 3 and 6 and they are limited to age appropriate television, for the most part. No sponge bob because I don;t want them mimicking his actions. He is annoying just for the sake of being annoying. Bayblades (or whatever) has also recently been banned because they can't seem to 'play' this show without hurting each other.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:12 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I keep it age appropriate or unrated (like they can watch cooking shows with me) but I don't have specific "banned" age appropriate shows.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I banned Barney when my oldest boys were young, same with Power Rangers because they drove me batty - that was over 21 years ago and they are still banned in my house. As for movie and TV ratings my youngest 2 cannot watch rated R movies that we haven't watched yet, but everything PG-13 and lower is fair game since my youngest is now 13. TV ratings - we have no movie channels so there isn't much where they aren't allowed to watch if ever.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• chowder; spongebob; there are quite a few that I can't remember the titles right now but if I sit down and start watching something with them and feel it is inappropriate then I either change the channel or turn the TV off
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• They can watch whatever they want. If it's something I can't stand (just about every preschool/educational show) they watch it somewhere away from me. And, no, we don't go by ratings. My kids watch all sorts of stuff. Some of their favorite movies are PG-13 and they are 10, 9, 8 and 5 and have been watching those movies for years.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:59 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• fanboy and chum chum; fairly oddparents; courage the cowardly dog; chowder
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2011