• In the Spotlight:

Generic food items or name brand?

sendcheer

Asked by sendcheer at 5:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in

• Depends. I'm willing to try a generic, but if it doesn't taste as good I won't get it again. For example, I actually like many of Target's store brands (like Market Pantry and Archer Farms Organics), and get their products fairly often. I tried a generic of a granola bar once and thought it was gross. I didn't even finish the box, but my husband thought they were alright and finished them up. Sometimes I buy the Kroger generic organic peanut butter, and it tastes pretty good. I have no problem buying generic Advil or things like that either, since they have to have the same main ingredients. I also try to read labels, so it depends what's in them. The Target chocolate chips don't seem to have all the oils that Nestle adds to their chips. I thought they tasted ok when I made some cookies for a moms' club open house last week.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Depends. Some of the generic stuff is really good-- much better than name brands. For instance, Costco makes some really great products under their Kirkland Signature brand. And you get the bonus of it typically being cheaper!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 5:23 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Whatever tastes good
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• depends on the item. Hubby had to have Hunt"s Ketsup, I like JiF peanut butter.
    juliemomx2

Answer by juliemomx2 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Generic. for the most part
    Cherries12

Answer by Cherries12 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• More often than not, generic.
    dream-catcher

Answer by dream-catcher at 5:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• It depends on which food. I find Walmart's Good Value brands to be every bit as good as the name brand ones. AND lots cheaper.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I mostly buy generic, anything to stretch my money.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• both depending on what it is
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 6:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• name brand
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 7:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2011