Welfare

Some states are requiring recipients of welfare to prove that they are actively looking for a job, work jobs such as picking up trash or cleaning city buildings, and some are looking at the possibility of cutting welfare benefits if you have more children.

What do you think of these? For the most part I think these are good ideas. Some people are protesting saying that being forced to work violates their right to receive government benefits and that the government shouldn't be able to tell them they can't have anymore children. No one is saying that they can't have more kids. They just can't have more and receive benefits.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 5:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think anyone on welfare should have to give urine or blood for drug tests to prove they arnt just high and lazy.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I think it's a wonderful idea! Helps weed out the abusers!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• We had to go on assistance recently. I'm also pregnant. No one is going to tell me I can't have kids. But I didn't get on assistance just to stay home and be lazy. I got on assistance because it was our last choice. I've worked since I was 15 non-stop except for 6 months in 07 when I was laid off. Even then, I didn't get assistance because Dh and unemployment benefits supported us.

Right now we are required to participate in their job search which is just fine. But I am 37 weeks pregnant and can't work. I don't think you should be made to work if you have a legitimate reason or are close to delivery. Other than that, hell ya make them work.

As far as no benefits for having more kids, no that isn't wise. Who are you really punishing? Children. And that is never OK. The job program they have I think effectively gets people out there looking for a job. If we don't do so many hours of job search or job training in a week then.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:30 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I work and have 6 kids,and I don't see why other people can't.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 5:55 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I think that it's a wonderful idea!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I agree. It's because of people like that that I am having a hard time. I know soooooooo many people on welfare who don't even need it anymore! They work off the books, or don't work it all and they have it made. I'm hoping tomorrow welfare helps me out. At least for a couple of months so I can find a place to live and get a job and get a car and get on my feet.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 5:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Vbruno... I forgot. that was one of the considerations.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 5:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I think it is a great idea. There are so many people out there who abuse the system. It makes it so much harder for people who really need help to get help. I believe if you are on welfare you should be looking to get a job so you don't have to solely depend on welfare.
    BellaMami1126

Answer by BellaMami1126 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Then we loose our benefits.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Amen and hallelujah!
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2011