WOW. Just wow

Some people I used to consider friends just had a baby. The baby was born with a lot of issues. He might not make it. They had been planning on naming him Alexander Michael for ever. Now they changed the name to John David. The reason... they didn't want to "waste" their favorite name just in case this kid doesn't make it. I know it has to be difficult but really? Also they have told their older child that the baby probably won't come home. It is like they are already planning for the worst. I am trying to understand but it is just really hard.

I have not voiced my opinions to them. I just want to knock some sense into them. If they don't fight for that baby who will?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 5:36 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Wow, that's about all I can say too. They sound very negative and bitter about this. I pray he ends up well in the long-run :(
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 5:40 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• That is heart breaking. Who cares about the whole name thing. I hope the baby makes it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Perhaps those are just their ways of grieving and handling things? They are being realistic. You aren't in their shoes so you don't know what their feelings are. My dad died in 2000. He was a diabetic and had been missing for 8 hours when my step mom called me and told me that he had been missing for that long and they couldn't find him. I told my sons that since no one had heard from him and since he didn't have his insulin with him that grandpa was most likely no longer with us. It may have seemed cold to an outsider for me to say that but knowing how bad my dad's diabetes was I knew that 8 hours without insulin would be fatal for him. 6 hours later they found his body and by then my mind had begun to accept that he was gone and my children had already started grieving. The news devastated us BUT not as badly as if we had had hope that he was fine.
    Anonymous

• I hope things work out for the best... Very sad.
    dream-catcher

Answer by dream-catcher at 5:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I wouldn't be too hard on anything they are doing. They are probably in such a bad state that they really aren't thinking anything but wanting that baby to live...but yet are preparing for the worst.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• What a hard thing for them to go through, I guess i can understand where they are coming from because if they think thier baby will be ok and then he does die then it will really hard, it will be hard either way but sometimes its easier for people to cope knowing or His health must be pretty bad if they feel this way, the best you can do is to be there for them and if he does make it that is a blessing for everyone. I don't think they aren't fighting for the baby, i think they have put it in Gods hands.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I think everyone copes in there own way, to people on the outside it can seem odd or even horrible. I'm sure (at least I hope very much) that this is tearing them apart. Some people are very logical about things then fall apart later, I'm that way so I can understand.
    mommy-perks

Answer by mommy-perks at 5:43 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• perhaps when you (or anyone else) is in their position, then you will make all the correct decisions, with the right responses?? you will most likely have your head on straight in the face of such negative health of a hoped-for child. yeah you!
    until then, don't judge them for making their decisions.
    what's a name, at a time like this? nothing.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:49 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• It's a very tough situation for their entire family. How sad.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• WOW!!! Yeah, WOW...just like you posted!!! Common sense would have been just to say, "we decided to use this name. We thought it looked more like a John David." I hope things work out, but like you said...it sounds like they are already planning a funeral.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2011