I need help or suggestions on how to deal with this

So my 5month old baby is severley constipated. She screams and pushes so hard her face turns red or purple. Her butt even started bleeding ( doc said ur was normal). Do any moms have any remedies to help? Her doctor is not helping me at all :( I feel so bad for her because u can tell its soooo painful. Please help

jadesmommy2010

Asked by jadesmommy2010 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would see another doctor. Maybe try a bit of juice, diluted by 3/4 water.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• juice or they have prunes in baby food. mix it in a bottle or just give her a spoon full or two
    Cherries12

Answer by Cherries12 at 6:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Barley Malt Syrup, you can get it at any natural food/vitamin place. You only need like a baby spoon full and you can mix it in with her formula or cereal one or two times a day. It really works for the little ones.
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Try adding Karo Syrup to her bottles. That's what I did with my son.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 6:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Same problem with my DD. Juice was too hard on her poor tummy. But Kayro syrup (4ml/4oz formula) worked like a charm and it also helped with her gas. My pedi reccomened it after everything else failed! Good Luck!
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 7:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Can you give more info? What is her diet? How long has this been going on? Karo syrup is NOT recommended for babies under 12 mos. It is not sterile, and carries a risk of botulism poisoning, much like honey does. Karo specifies this on their website. If you are able to give me as many details as possible, I can try to help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• i would either give your little one prune baby food or if your not at that point, try the prune juice.
    It will work wonders, if you give the prune baby food, give a 1/2 container and then wait a bit.
    I am sure you don't want a diaper blow out. LOL
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• to Krysta622......Karo Syrup was actually recommended by my son's pediatrician, and my son hasn't died from botulism.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Karo is no longer recommended... the Karo company itself says DO NOT USE on infants. For a doc to still recommend it is like him recommending bleeding a patient; very behind the times.

OP... reduce solids, increase liquids.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:44 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• MomMom, I'm not saying that every baby will die if given Karo, but it's a real risk, and IDK why pedi's still recommend it, knowing what we now know about Karo. I would never advise a mom to use it, and frankly, a doctor shouldn't either. I'm definitely not bashing you for following your doc's recommendation, as obviously, you were doing what you felt was best for your child, it's the pedis who give this outdated recommendation that I'm pissed at.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2011