Do you charge your adult child(ren) rent? If so, how much is reasonable?

Our 20 y/o son already pays his car ins., gas, repairs & upkeep, & his cell bill. He rarely does anything to help around the house, even after we ask. We feel used, & feel he needs to contribute around the house, physically & financially. He works about 30 hrs a wk. at a fast food place (min. wage) We initially asked for $200/mth, but would be willing to go down to $100/mth if he shows initiative on helping out more. What are your thoughts?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 6:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• does he own his car? if not is he paying his own monthly payment?

I'd be more concerned about him getting into college or a real career..... min wage will NEVER get him out of the house.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:13 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Unless he is diligently saving for a place of of his own and not spending money foolishly than I wouldn't charge him, but I would insist that he help around the house. If he isn't saving to move out and is spending money on unnecessary useless stuff then he would definitely be paying $200.00 plus kicking in some money for groceries.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:13 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I too have a 20 yr. old son at home. He works about the same amt of hours and pays the same bills you described. We don't charge him rent because he isn't making enough. But it is my understanding that charging them 25% of their monthly salary is sufficient.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 6:15 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• We'd love for him to go back to college & think (or at least hope he will in the Fall- he had to take time off after losing his dad last year) If we charged him the $200- half would be put in an acct. since he's not really saving anything! He drives 500 mi round trip 2-3 times a week to see his gf, & he eats out constantly! -Ugh! This is just like his hotel to sleep, shower, etc. Something needs to change. I dont want him to leave., but I cant stand it if he stays the way things are now. Too much tension. :(
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 6:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Mine are not old enough. When I was in college, my dad told me that as long as I was in school, there would be no rent. If I quit school, I'd have tp pay $100 a month. Once I quit college, I started paying rent. I think it's a good idea!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 6:36 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Wow, with the price of gas and eating out on top of all his other expenses I can understand your frustration. I showed my son your question and he agreed that 25% was good. However he didn't volunteer to pay, lol His gf is always at our house and they both know if they want special things to eat, they pay for it. Fortunately we all get along and respect each other.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 6:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• show him responsibility
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 7:08 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• he needs to pay something life isnt about a free ride and that is what he is getting by my standards i was 16 and in high school and did sports and had a job and helped my family with bills.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 7:30 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Wow, $200/$100 is cheap! When my parents let me move back home after I graduated college (I was 22), they charged me $400 for rent, AND expected me to chip in for groceries, AND expected me to pull my weight around the house as far as cleaning went. I had a decent job, I was making about $13/hr working at a call center in a hospital, but it wasn't quite full-time. I had all those bills (car, insurance, phone, school loans) plus my rent. I thought I was getting a great deal! Although I got along with my parents, it really encouraged me to save my extra money to move into my own place because since I lived at their house, I still had to follow their general rules. Like, telling them if I was going to come home or be out all night. Tell/ask them before I had people over, etc.
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• He needs to get rid of the cell phone and pay you more money-or get his own place. There's nothing wrong with him getting a second job either if he tries to whine about it.
    purplerobin

Answer by purplerobin at 12:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2011