Painting Question as a Tennant

We recently signed a lease and have moved into a townhome for the next 3 years. We asked if we could paint and they said sure....we even went as far as saying we would return it to its original color of white.
Fast forward a week... We have painted and moved in. The landlady stopped today and was beyond upset that we used semi-gloss paint. We have 3 kids. We need something that we can wipe down. We know it is easy to care for that is why we choose it. She says that you can't paint over it with flat or touch it up. Which I know both is incorrect. I touched up as needed for the 8 years we were in the other house. As far as going back it can be done. I have researched it and two coats and it should be fine.

So does she have a right to be mad when they didn't specify? I feel awful, really badly. I thought that it looked really nice and the last thing I wanted to do was make our new landlords mad. So what do you think?

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 7:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Home & Garden

• If she didn't want you to use semi gloss paint then she should have said that. You gave her perfect opportunity to let you know if she had preferences when you asked to paint. She sounds like she doesn't have a lot of knowledge on painting because she can use a flat paint if she wants later on to cover it up. Perhaps print off some info and give it to her to put her mind at ease.
    You couldn't have done anything differently, you're not a mind reader. Btw....I would have used the same type of paint.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 8:52 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• If you use a primer there will be no problem at all. Just tell her that you will return it to whatever color she'd like when the time comes.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 7:03 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I think if they didn't specify then you should be fine. I don't know why anybody would put flat paint in an apartment where kids are living. They are just asking for trouble!
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• They didn't specify. I personally hate flat paint and have used semi-gloss for years. One coat of primer and you are good to go with crappy eggshell white flat paint when you move out.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Print some articles about painting over semi-gloss for her and let her have time to get over it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• she is being just RUDE!!!!!! You ask, she said yes. She is luck that she a some one willing to take care of the rental and not trash it.
    juliemomx2

Answer by juliemomx2 at 7:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• If she didn't specify, it's not your fault.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:17 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Find her some concrete proof, email it to her, and assure her you did not think it would be an issue and you did not mean to upset her. I am sure she will get over it once she realizes she is wrong.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:10 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• She should have speciifed. Her loss.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 3:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• SHE SHOULD HAVE SPECIFY
    RACINGMANIA

Answer by RACINGMANIA at 3:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2011