How can I get my 3 year old to stop whining?

She whines about %75. Sometimes she will even fake whine if she has nothing to be upset about. Instead of asking me to do something for her, she'll just whine. It's driving me insane! I thought it would stop but it seems to get worse. And her emotions flip on and off like a light switch. She can be whining one second and then all of a sudden she just stops and goes and plays with her toys. Help!

TiffanieK

Asked by TiffanieK at 7:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If my dd is asking for something in a whiny voice I make her use her big girl words before she can get whatever it is that she is asking for.
    admiring_u_14

Answer by admiring_u_14 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I used to tell mine to speak to me without whining so I could understand them. They listened.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:09 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I ignore that tone of voice... they get nothing. When I hear my son ask nicely with a please or a may I then I magikly hear him and answer him.
    Eko

Answer by Eko at 7:12 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Refuse to understand the whining. Simple say calmly I can't understand you and repeat it until they stop whining and say it without the whine. Reward them with praise when they use their big words.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:32 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Oh good luck with that one! lol! Im still trying to figure out how to get my 8 yr old to stop whining. Just ignore the whining and when she see's your not giving in, then she might stop.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 7:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I used to say "asked and answered" if they were whining to get me to change my mind. Even now I have to remind them to use their big kid voices and they are 6, 11 & 13! It's just a control tactic. Annoying as h*ll, and it will go away eventually.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2011