Do you kids have an overly developed sense of entiltlement?

Mine do!! How do I break them of this attitude. They feel entitles to a snack, to get to go outside when they want, have friends over when they want, eat when they want, me to get them whatever toy out of the closet they want and they feel they should get it when they ask. It's driving me nuts. I say no or wait and it's like I just broke their damn arm! It's not like this is new. I have always had them wait or say no to stuff.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Seems like they are just acting like any other kid, but your the parent. If they are doing something you don't feel is right, then correct the situation.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• What are their ages? My son has been acting this way for awhile now. He is 7 about to be 8. I have no idea why he thinks every trip to Wal-Mart means he should get a toy. I stopped getting him stuff and letting him have privilages. I made him earn everything. It has helped some and i hope it keeps helping. Good luck to you!
    Eko

Answer by Eko at 7:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• No, my daughters don't . I raise them much as I was raised , quite strictly, not spoiled and to be polite and couteous at home and in public.

They have to ask first if they can have friends over, if they can go out and when younger, they were not encouraged to eat between meals so they never developed the habit . Nor do I wait on them hand and foot and they are expected to tidy up after themselves and help with chores. Not to say I never have problems with them , all parents do if they tell the truth, you just have to be firm and consistent when they ' strike attitudes ".

Not for nothing am I known as Dragon Mom .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• LOL. Kids do try to ask and feel entitled...its the way they are.But you can be consistent and calmly say NO and expect them to ASK PERMISSION, not whine. THey need to know you are in charge and they need manners and how to be polite responsible kids who adults are impressed by. People told me that my kids were so good at being polite and knew how to talk with adults instead of just muttering "yah" and :no" and "duhhh". LOL In other words, they were very civilized.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:55 PM on Apr. 17, 2011