I have to get blood drawn this morning (comp meta panel, lipid panel, and TSH) and I've been fasting since last night for it. But at 6:00 am I woke up feeling sick and took some Maalox. Did I screw up my fast, or can I still have my blood drawn? I tried to call and ask, but they were not at all helpful...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Health

• I think you screwed up your fast. They don't want you to have anything in your system. There could be sugar and other stuff in the maalox that will give you inaccurate measures. I could be wrong, but ......
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:27 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I have had blood drawn for those same purposes w/o fasting, so you might be ok. I would just make it a point to tell them and to mention to the dr that you took maalox, then they can take that into account if the numbers are off. Or the dr can have you do it again if it did screw it up. Maybe call the dr before you go have it drawn to save yourself doing it twice if he determines it's no good now.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• you will be fine. drink a few glasses of water. you will be fine
    LizWithAvon

Answer by LizWithAvon at 11:29 AM on Dec. 3, 2008