Volume control on a little girl...lol.

My daughter is almost 5 and is a naturally loud person. Sometimes hearing her obnoxiously loud voice is like nails on a chalkboard (especially since I'm having ear pain from being sick). What are your suggestions for getting her to tone it down a bit? I have tried telling her over and over and over again that inside we use softer voices...and that mommy is not that far from her and doesn't need to be shouted at. She remembers for all of about 30 seconds and then starts it again.

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 7:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you had her ears checked? If she is just naturally loud, maybe she is unable to control how loud she speaks. I would just continue to gently remind her, but not make that big of a deal about it. My 6 yr old is naturally loud, as is her mother. :)
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 8:51 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• try whispering and make it fun. Maybe she'll get it
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:36 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Didn't she come with a remote?? LOL!

We always just say, "Use your inside voice". Of course, you'll have to explain the difference, but it works.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I sometimes point the remote at my daughter and push the mute button. it never works.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 7:32 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I was looking for the MUTE button -- or FREEZE --- for mine! Maybe demonstrate for her how far away she should be in order to speak as loudly as she does? Then you can always tell her that if she INSISTS on speaking that loudly, she needs to stand that far away to talk to you! It wont take her long to realize she doesnt want to have to go into the next room to talk to mom!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My son does it becuase he gets hyper (has adhd) so I ignore him when he is yelling at me and usually he remembers and lowers his voice.
    Eko

Answer by Eko at 7:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• YES! We all talked softly at our house and we insisted on using our "Inside voices". It seemed to work pretty well.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I think i got ripped off...there's no remote in sight, lol! She is a very active girl and gets loud so easily. Sometimes I just want to muzzle her, LOL! I'm scared for the teen years, oh geez!
    Renee3K

Comment by Renee3K (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• We've tried ignoring her when she does it and it only makes it worse...she just hollers louder and louder until she gets a response, lol.
    Renee3K

Comment by Renee3K (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Maybe ignore her?
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2011