So my 4 year old walked in on me... adult content

changing my feminine pad. its not the first time its happened, but its the first time she freaked out. she asked me where all the blood came from, and looked really really scared. how the heck do you explain it to a 4 year old!? i just told her that mommy's fine, it's totally normal and happens to every girl when she gets older. then she started talking about how she didn't want to grow up and didn't want blood to come out of her butt, she was so terrified to the point of tears! i just didn't know how to explain it in a way she would understand, but i tried reassuring her over and over that she won't die from it nor will i. how did you handle this if it happened to you!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think that every child is differentmy daughter is three and its happened to me before her and she was scared at first litle while wehn she saw that i was fine she calmed down and since then shes forgot about it, they are too young to understand it usually so just go with the "flow" for now! and accidents happen it could have been worse! :) SO anyone that says 100% or nevers when it comes to kids and privacy must have just been really lucky!
    1lovjulianna

Answer by 1lovjulianna at 8:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• my daughter is 4 and I'm terrified of that happening. If I'm not gonna lock the door I make 100% sure she's engaged in coloring or some other project before I go do my business.

I'd buy an age appropriate book, maybe.... and explain what an AWESOME thing it is because it means Mommys body is working 100% good and her plumbing is strong and clean and healthy just in case she wants to surprise ya with a baby brother or sister someday
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• i dont know but i bumped you
    kokomaman

Answer by kokomaman at 7:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I always kept the bathroom door locked because there are certain things that kids shouldn't see and that is one of them. WHen my daughters were about 10 or 11 we talked about periods but they were not going to see evidence of MINE !
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:00 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I agree to look at some books on the subject and maybe explain that you don't need the blood right now for a baby and so it came out.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• i gave you a bump i hope you get some good answers. but yes i think just telling her its ok and it dont hurt and its not as much blood as it looks. it means mommy is healthy and doing well
    aschwarz06

Answer by aschwarz06 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• i think what freaked her out is when she saw me wipe and the blood on the toilet paper. then she put 2 and 2 together and realized where she thinks it comes from. and she was doing okay until i said "it happens to all girls when they grow up" but i was just trying to explain that its normal and ended up scaring the life out of her! poor thing. i feel so bad that she's so little and worrying about death already.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• omg i could not imagine that happening ,but i hope you get it figured out. GOOD LUCK!!
    vgaines

Answer by vgaines at 8:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I would tell her all mummies have these special ovens inside them to grow babies (does she know babies grow in tummies yet?) and that they grow a special coating inside for a baby to hold onto. but if there is no baby in there after a month the special coating gets too old so mummies oven has a self cleaning mechanism like the one in the kitchen where is pushes out all the old coating. so mummy wont get sick from bad old coating and it can make new coating just in case next month a baby comes to grow. I would tell her it doesn't hurt or you don't really feel it and that its just like you are always peeing yourself or something (something that makes it sound less scary or painful) so you wear a big plaster shaped Nappy/diaper in your knickers.
    smittenbrit

Answer by smittenbrit at 8:46 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• both my ds and dd have seen it.... even though I do try to get them out of the bathroom b/f I wipe we have only 1 bathroom and it does not have a lock.
    What I explained to them is that its part of being a woman and its why we can have babies. (for whatever reason the idea that we can have babies kinda helps overshadow the whole blood thing)
    I would also explain it not from your butt LOL and that it doesn't hurt. Its just stuff washing out of your body and that it actually means you are healthy.

Ds and DD are 5 and 7 so luckily they are better about staying out (usually) they still think its yucky... but they don't freak out.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:49 PM on Apr. 17, 2011