Keeping clean with guinea pigs.

So my guinea pig throws his bedding everywhere and it always gets all over the floor. In a matter of 5 minutes, there will be shavings all over the floor. I tried using a puppy pad but it was disgusting. He is in a regular guinea pig/rabbit cage. Kinda like a hamster cage but bigger. How can i keep my house clean and keep my guinea pig. It's my daughter's so I couldn't bare to get rid of him.

TiffanieK

Asked by TiffanieK at 7:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Pets

• You could put the cage in something that has raised walls or make a C&C cage with walls big enough that the pig can't kick shavings out. I always brush my pigs off before holding them and the raised walls have helped a lot. He might need a bigger cage anyway if it is only as big as a hamster's cage.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I agree that you should look for something that has higher walls. Maybe you and your daughter could construct something shallow yourself out of plywood to set the cage in.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 7:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• it's not the size of a hamster cage. It's build like a hamster cage.
    TiffanieK

Comment by TiffanieK (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• glass enclosure
    Anonymous

• You could look for a cage with higher plastic walls before the cage grid starts. Or a C&C with a larger band of corrugated plastic along the bottom. You could also look into a plastic or glass cage, though I've heard they're not recommended due to poor air circulation inside. My guinea pigs also sometimes kick the shavings out, or hay ends up on the floor... I just vacuum up around the cage relatively often.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2011