Would a shelter be a good idea for us to get back on feet?

We have no where to go in a couple weeks with our 3 kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• Shelters help and provide a starting point for people to begin over. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• are any of the kids in school? can you split up? a few of you at one family/friends house and a few at another?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Yes, or look up your county website and state website and search them for womens' resources and help. You might even stop into your local police station and ask for referrals. Plus local churches. hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I personally would NOT walk into a police station w/ 3 kids in tow admitting on camera I am homeless. Foster care would only add another layer of pain to the suffering
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• call 211 or go to your local DSHS.., GL!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Although I am not a Christian, I would go to the Church first. They may be able to offer food and shelter or at least point you in the right direction to find help. And they are very unlikely to get Child Services or whatever involved.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:23 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• We don't have any family members that have the space for us...if we tried to split up half of us would have to go to another state. We are in north Carolina now. The county we live in don't have any funds or helpful resources. I call near by county and they tell us we have to already live in that county.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Its a start
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 8:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• It could help only if they offer some longterm shelter. Good Luck to all of you. I'm sorry you are having to go through this.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:46 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I agree in checking with your local county offices, churches, the shelter and possibly apartments for information. If you can find an apartment which needs a caretaker, alot of times you get rent-free. Whatever you are going through, it WILL pass. Keep you chin up and your perspective grateful even thought times have been tough. ( Fake it until you feel it ) It could be worse. Going through the pains of life are easier when you keep looking for the good in anything. I have a friend who lives her life in a wheelchair, I have friends who have lost children, I know people who are incarcerated- always remeber what IS good while going through all of this. Hold onto humor- it is one thing that breaks through the pain and frustration of it all. Are there any family members or friends which could help for a couple of months? I wish you strength and peace. Hugs !!
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 8:50 PM on Apr. 17, 2011