Crumbly Biscuits

Ladies I need help!  My husband has asked for crumbly biscuits that are homemade.  He knows that I am no "Betty Crocker" so I'd like to spice it up a little and make them for him, lol.  I plan on using the biscuits for biscuits and gravy.  Anyone have any good recipes?  I've tried All Recipes but I'm not very good at navigating that site yet.  Anyone have a good recipe OR store brand where the biscuits are crumbly instead of flaky? 

MrsHouston47302

Asked by MrsHouston47302 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I have never heard of crumbly biscuits. I've used Bisquick alot and I love their recipe.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/Buttermilk-Biscuits-I/Detail.aspx

the trick is to very lightly mix the dough. once you overmix it, the biscuits will be tough and dense. GL

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:23 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• http://www.homadefoods.com/

look for these in the freezer, mary b's biscuits. they are good too

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I use Bisquick. I cook a lot and I am told I am a good cook, but I could never do 'from scratch' pastry well. I think that is a knack to it that I am missing. I will do homemade pie--except for the crust as I am that bad with pastry.
    So, my ramble there was to say that even those of us who are considered good cooks can struggle and we use 'cheats', like Bisquick.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• This might be your answer because they aren't flaky, lol
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 8:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I use 2 cups self-rising flour, 1/4 c. Crisco or other solid shortening. Cut the shortening into the flour using a pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly. Then slowly add about 3/4 C. of buttermilk, stirring just to moisten. Then dump the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 5 or 6 times. Cut biscuits with a cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 450 for about 10 minutes. You can use sweet milk, but the buttermilk makes them better. Or you can cheat and buy the Pillsbury frozen biscuits which are pretty good in a pinch! Be careful when you are adding the milk not to get the dough too wet.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I am thinking the Bisquick recipe on the box (use the one for the drop biscuits) is what he is looking for. I swear they crumble every time I make them. (Then again, I am not a baker and I might just be screwing them up!!! LOL).
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 8:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Awesome!  Thanks for the tip!

MrsHouston47302

Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Ahhh, I haven't tried Bisquick yet!  Thanks!  ;)

MrsHouston47302

Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 8:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Yeah, I was kind of hoping someone knew what the hell he's talking about because I don't know the difference either, ha ha ha!  He said the biscuits like Macs has but I'm not sure everyone has a Macs restaurant in their town, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2011