How much do you spend per Easter basket for your children & Do you have any unusual traditions?

If you want to add other info like - how many kids you have/ how it compares to the area you live(peers)/ etc... i was thinking about a family i knew that got the baskets a day after easter to save money - but they did so to buy the hugest basket on the shelves... my dh keeps insisting that Easter is not a holiday to buy toys - only candy/ i think he is being a little cheap about it.

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 8:50 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Holidays

• I probably spend about $20 each child...but they are still pretty young; 5 and 2. I usually do some candy, a chocolate bunny for sure, and a few outdoor items. This year I am putting in candy, puzzles, coloring books, bubbles, "bug catchers", an apron, sunglasses, and of course the chocolate bunny. We also do an Easter egg hunt, and the eggs will have things like small candy, coins, and silly-bands. I don't think I spent more than $40 on all of it, and I think it is enough for them.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I don't know if it's unusual, but our Easter bunny brings the kids new bathing suits and pool/beach toys....as well, as the obligatory chocolate bunny.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I got her stuff today and it was so much fun..I think it came out to about $30...I did bubbles, coloring books, thing like that. A treat or two but we're not big of sugar, so It's a BIG treat when she gets it. She's 2 1/2.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:52 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• we have a very unusual tradition. each easter they get a large outdoor thing to welcome spring and get excited for summer. a pool, a bouncer, a large slide, swings, etc etc.

we do VERY minimal candy. possibly none at all. they get some from friends, family, school, the bunny at the mall, etc.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:12 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I love shopping for easter too! i spent in that range too, i wont allow an all-candy-basket. that would just be inviting a meltdown.
    AmaliaD

Comment by AmaliaD (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• We don't do Easter baskets. We go to my parents' house for dinner and they make baskets for the kids. I think we're going to take the kids to the egg hunt that the HOA does this Saturday.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• This year, my girls are getting a summer dress each and a pair of sandals- that's what they really love. They'll get a small amount of jelly beans and we'll do an easter egg hunt in the yard. Trying to cut down on the sweets, but I still want MY Cadbury eggs!
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 9:50 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• i make his easter basket i've been doing it for the past 3 years... i think it's something very special that me and his dad do for him and when our new comer joins in he or she will get her personalized one too.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:19 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I spent $100 each this year.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 11:01 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Last year I spent virtually nothing. This year I am using Easter as an excuse to buy some toys after "you are too greedy" hiatus and to get some Spring and Summer jammies, outdoor stuff. I did candy free eggs--not on purpose just happened that way with stickers, tattoos, finger puppets. I told my three year old the Easter Bunny would not bring him any more Easter Eggs than he could count and he got to thirty real fast..Stealing the tradition of making white flour prints of the Easter Bunny feet on the front porch and mat from a friend (like in the movie Hop). This weekend before Easter we will decorate eggs and I am going to have my son sort jelly beans by color and count them in little cups to bring over my parent's house with each person's favorite (more to give him a project )
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2011