HSA vs PPO (health insurance)

My husband's work is altering their health coverage options for 2008. They will offer either a Health Savings Account, or a Prefered Provider Org. I don't have much experience with the HSA- can you provide some insight or share your experience? (I know how they work in the technical sense, but I want to know if people were actually satisfied with them) Thanks for the help :)

oceanlover84

Asked by oceanlover84 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Money & Work

• I had one thru an employer one time, and the employer funded it with...I believe it was $500 per yr. I loved it. I had a debit card with it so that I could just use the card to pay the dr or for prescriptions, whatever, and didn't have to wait for reimbursement. It was a big weight off of me, b/c if the kids got sick, there wasn't this "omg, I have $10 until next paycheck, and the dr costs $50...what am I gonna do?" moment.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I have one and prefer it! I use it in conjunction with my Ameriplan Membership. Although I've never had one offered by a job or company, I have my own. I like it because should something happen the money is there for me to bank on (although then I have to pay taxes) while with Insurance of any kind I can't access the money I've paid them... And it leaves us with NO out of pocket costs...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• If you end up with the HSA, look in to a program like Ameriplan... We love it. It runs us $40/month and discounts up on average of 60% on our Dental, Vision, Medical, Prescription, Hospital and everything!! That makes the HSA go a heck of a lot further... Especially with a family! My husband needs a special medication and OOP it runs about $600/month... We mail order it 3 months at a time, it's delivered to our house and only costs us $87/ 3 months... That makes the HSA stretch!!!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:57 AM on Dec. 2, 2008