Names of People of Vietnamese descent

I was just wondering why every Vietnamese person I meet or read about all have the same last name. Doesn't that get very confusing and lead to all kinds of mixed up identities?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Just for Fun

• It really doesn't lead to mixed up identities. I grew up in a primarily Asian area (as a non-Asian myself)  and there was no problem keeping everyone straight. My SIL is Vietnamese. My best friend is Chinese. They've never had identity problems.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:52 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Okay, but why are the last names all the same though? Thats what I was most curious about.
    Anonymous

• LOL I'm Vietnamese and we don't all have the same last names. My last name is Pham and there is also Nguyen, Le, Tran, Ho, Truong, Dang, Vo, Vu, Dinh, Bui, Chau, Phan, Thach, ummm... and a lot more but I can't think of them all right now. You're probably talking about the last name Nguyen right? There really are a lot of Viet people with that last name so I know what you're talking about!
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 1:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Yes! you are right sweetvietchic! I see Nguyen all the time. Is that like the Smith of Vietnam? lol
    Thanks for replying.
    JustAMom2008

Answer by JustAMom2008 at 4:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• LOL yep Nguyen is the Viet Smith! NP!
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 11:40 AM on Dec. 4, 2008