First pets

what were your kids first pets?

brookemhowell

Asked by brookemhowell at 9:12 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Pets

• We had hedgehogs before having kids... the last hedgehog passed away when the kids were 5, 3, and 18 months. After that we got two guinea pigs because they are more social and easier for the kids to handle. They're the family pets, not just for the kids. It's hard for us to have bigger pets- dh is severely allergic to cats and ds is terrified of dogs. But we love our piggies!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:15 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Well, we have pets my DD was born. So hers are 3 cats and 2 big dogs!
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 9:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My son has always had a dogs. We had the dogs before he was born. The one he was really close to, had to be put down at the end of last year tho :( He has also had a hamster since he was 2. Yes I take care of it, but its taught him to be gentle and he does help me out cleaning her cage every week. He also enjoys giving her veggies to snack on :) At 4 1/2 yrs old now, he's awesome with animals of all sizes !!! I want to get him a bearded dragon within the next couple years!!!!
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• my husband bought me a kitten when I was approx 13 weeks preg with our 1st baby

and last Summer my kids got a beta fish together
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My daughter got her first pet (a kitten) almost a year ago.  She's 4.  I clean the litter box and feed her and I pretend to be bitter about it but to be honest, my daughter loves her so much that I don't really mind, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• shih tzu before baby was born
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 9:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• We've had a chihuahua for a little over a year now...but...he's mine lol...I just let my daughter borrow him {wink}
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• We had 3 dalmatians when they were born. We lost our last dalmatian last year and have a lab mix and an American bulldog currently. The first pet I bought just for them was their pony. They also have 3 cats, all were strays. One of the cats is their best friend. He is the best cat ever, he comes in when we whistle.

My 9 year old son just got his first pet that is 100% his pet. It is a rat, I was really opposed to a rat initially. I tried to talk him into a beardie, a chameleon, guinea pig, turtle...anything besides a rat! Turns out, this is a wonderful pet, and he is smitten with this rat. I am so happy with his rat, and quite surprised by that. LOL He cheerfully does everything on his own for his pet, cage cleaning, feeding, water...everything.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:52 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• guinea pigs
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Dogs before kids.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:36 PM on Apr. 17, 2011