How do I deal with anxiety?

I live in North Carolina. My community was devastated by tornadoes yesterday evening. We were fortunate enough to not have any damage to our home but a block away is a completely different story and looks like a war zone. I am petrified. I can't sleep, I can't eat, I can't do anything in fear of another tornado coming and getting my house. I feel as though we were lucky enough to have not had our second floor ripped off like a few houses in my community, that it is going to come back and happen. My husband is deployed. I'm alone in my house with my little one. How can I ease my mind? I KNOW there is no storm coming...the sky is clear.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Health

• Well, I think your anxiety will lessen as time goes on. You're probably still in shock a little from it. How terrifying. I'm sorry this happened to your community. If your anxiety stays, talk to your doctor. It's completely understandable why you're feeling this way, poor thing. :(
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I just want to be able to sleep tonight. The day seemed ok but night is horrible.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Hugs! I think it will ease up with time.
    Sarahb21

Answer by Sarahb21 at 10:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Having grown up in tornado alley and had a simliar experience to yours, all I can say is to remind yourself that the odds of a big tornado returning to your community any time soon are very small. If you can, avoid going into the damaged areas (plus it will save getting nails into your tires) and don't watch the local news. Also, if your children are small, be careful when you take them outside. Don't let them run around barefoot because you don't know what kinds of debris may have been blown into your yard. Take it one step at a time. You'll be doing better soon.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 3:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2011