Acne Scar

I have bad marks on my face from acne. What can I use over the counter to remove the scars? I cannot afford to go to a dermatogist (sp?)

mamaofficer

Asked by mamaofficer at 10:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• They have stuff in the acne section for the scars in stores......I'm going to try some too but haven't yet.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Thanks
    mamaofficer

Comment by mamaofficer (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I've heard Bio-Oil is great for stretch marks, so I'd imagine it would work well for acne too.
    xtwistedxlovex

Answer by xtwistedxlovex at 10:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I'm an esthetician and I'm advising you to not use anything over the counter. Those products are for retail and have really bad ingredients in them that change the pH of your skin leading to dehydration and dryness of the skin and can irritate it more. I would suggest seeing an esthetician and they can start you on a good skin care program and they may be able to do microdermabrasion which really isn't too expensive. You will need to go about every 2-4 weeks for 6 sessions to see results. The most important thing is to use sunscreen so it doesn't hyperpigmentate even more cause the sun can make it work. Good luck to you I hope this helps
    bellaambru90

Answer by bellaambru90 at 12:24 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Look up Nature's Beauty Secrets by Dawn Gallagher. She has a blog on her site "Ask Dawn." She is a mom, pro model, TV host, and author.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 7:37 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• do not use anything over the counter in a drugstore!!! if those products worked, people wouldn't be using them. i work in the skincare industry, and seriously there are only a few products and procedures that actually work for that. this is the type of thing that you are going to have to invest a little bit of money in if you want to see results. but think of it as a "you get what you pay for" type of thing, because with skin products especially- that's how it usually goes. for starters, wear sunscreen (and reapply it!!) daily to prevent those acne scars from darkening. the best product i've found (that works) and doesn't involve treatments is from Murad, it's the "Post Acne Spot Lightening Gel"...you might be able to get it online (if you do, only get it f/ their website), but in my store we sell it for like around $60, and the bottle is only a couple ounces, BUT it works- I've used it-- good luck!!
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• **edit: If those products worked, than people wouldn't still have acne scars--- that's what I meant to say :P
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Don't use the Murad Post Acne Spot Lightening Gel, I know this is confusing but it has an ingredient hydroquinone, which causes cancer and health problems. It is actually banned in Europe. Just see an esthetician and they will help me trust me.
    bellaambru90

Answer by bellaambru90 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• well neosporin i think would work. i never tried it but its made just for that
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 9:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2011