Can you include who you want to take care of your child in the event of your death on your will?

I'm traveling to a not so safe country in December so I've decided to write out my will, I just didn't know whether or not I can indicate who I want to take care of my child in the even that I passed away or went missing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes! That's the whole reason we wrote our wills up in the first place. So important.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• why would you go to a dangerous country?..which country?
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 10:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Of course. See an Attorney ,write your will and have it Notarized before you go.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• 3HappyiKidds - Missionary work, Guatemala.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• ohhh i see, dont really have a choice then huh, i think you can for sure!! good luck over there!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 10:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I was told that even if you put in your will who you want to take care of your children that if someone challenges it, it might not hold up in court.
    I was told this by a paralegal who said she has seen it happen. She said the only time that judges will usually turn down a challenge to custody of children in a will is when the child has special needs. She says judges seem to think that parents think about the care of the child more if their children have special needs.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Yes, you can specify.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• yes just make sure you have it done legaly and get it notarized before you go......also contact the person/people you are willing your children to and make sure they are willing to take on the responabiltiy......good luck in your mission......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• YES !!!!

Make sure your Attorney, has it written up.
    And That "NO FAMILY MEMBER" can change it.

Make sure it is "DONE" and sealed, before you go any-where.

ALSO, make sure, "You are doing the right thing, and not just out of "spite" ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 10:55 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Yes, you can. Unless you and the other parent are no longer together. Then custody goes to the other parent unless their rights have been stripped. If you and the other parent aren't together, you can put into your will that you would like your children to have regular visitation with your relatives, and they would be able to use that in Court to get visitation.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 9:05 AM on Apr. 18, 2011