How soon is too soon to get married ?

I was wondering, what's everyone's view on how soon is too soon to get married ? Dr. Phil said you shouldn't get married until you experienced all 4 seasons together & experienced each other at one of their worst moments in life .... when you have the flu! lol But some of the couples I know that are extremely happy & have been together for over 20s years have got married within the 1st year they met. I was with my ex for 6 years. Come to find out, I didn't really know the real him until we split up. He showed his true colors then. So how long does it take to really get to know someone ? Do you ever really know someone ?

Just curious as to whats everyone's opinions are.

loudnproud87

Asked by loudnproud87 at 10:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• I used to swear up and down that I wouldn't get engaged to a man I had known for less then a year. Imagine my surprise when I got engaged to a man I had only known for 6 months (now been married 4 years and counting).

I think a lot has to do with what your position in life is. I had dated enough and made enough mistakes to know exactly what I needed in a husband, not just what I wanted. It didn't take too long to figure out that this guy had the attributes I needed to make a successful marriage.

TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I think time is unimportant, and I also think that Dr. Phil is a moron (not because of this, just in general). My parents dated for 5 years and they NEVER should have gotten married. Some people marry after a few months and are happy as hell. Like most things, it all depends on the couple.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:21 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• DH and I were engaged by 4.5 months, but didn't marry until we had been together for mainly logistics reasons. We are together 18 yrs this week.

My grandparents knew each other for 6 weeks by the time they married. He met her (they had spoken over the phone for business for a few months) at her work one day, went home, cancelled his new years eve date and asked out grandma. He proposed that night. They married on Valentine's day and were married 2 days short of 51 years.

I think it depends on who you are and who you marry. DH and I have grown together and work well - business wise and family wise. We are lucky. We have had a lot of good examples of a good marriage. DH's parents were married for close to 57 yrs. And of what to not do - my parents weren't even married 4 yrs.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I think a year or two, but if the person is good at hiding their true colors u might not even find out until after u are married. But I say live with them first for a while then u could always walk away and not have to deal with divorce and all that.
    angelrach86

Answer by angelrach86 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• i got married 10 months after we met. what we have been through in that short time - plus the first year of marriage i honestly dont think 98% of couples have gone through, we are happily married almost 6 years now.. so it all depends on the couple..
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 10:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• That's what I think. I think it depends on the couple as well. I love Dr. Phil!!! He does offer some real good advice for some things & other things, yeah not so much. LOL Everyone has their downfalls I guess. LOL
    loudnproud87

Comment by loudnproud87 (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My fiance and I get engaged at 6 months in. And are to be married 7 months after that. So, just over a year. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:32 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I wouldn't get married or not get married whenever based on what Dr. Phil says. He doesnt live with us so he doesnt know how we run our lives or rather if we're suited for each other or not. Only the couple knows each other the best.
    Anonymous

• It does depend on the couple. But my minimum for any couple is a year. Dh and I were engaged for 3 yrs before we got married.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My husband and I got married 3 months after meeting; we've been together (happily) for almost 7 years.

My sister got married after 3 months of dating, and she was separated 4 months after that.

My dad (after he and my mom got divorced) dated a woman for 6 or 7 years and never married her before they split.

It depends on the people involved.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2011