Is this rude or is it me ?

My son's preschool teacher is having a baby in May. The other teacher sent home letters like actually had our children hand them to us, not put them in the bookbags like they do all the other important things. It said "that since she's having a baby everyone needs to provide a 10 gift card to babies r us to help her prepare for her baby!" Those were the exact words.

I'm sorry, but I think that's extremely rude & I feel forced to do it tho bc I don't want them to be mean to my son bc he didn't get her the 10 gift card. I don't think that they should put the parents in that position at all. There's like 12 kids in his class. Imagine if she got a gift card from everyone for 10 ? LOL What a lucky woman! lol

loudnproud87

Asked by loudnproud87 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That is rude. That is not necessary. School is for learning, not baby showers, as bitchy as that may sound. While I wouldn't mind sending it, I know that some parents are short on money and can barely afford stuff for their own kids.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Uh YES that's definitely RUDE!! I read that and my jaw dropped. UGGGHHH people piss me off lol
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 10:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• That is inappropriate.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• You should talk to the director or the owner... that's over stepping their boundaries a bit!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Totally inappropriate! I would talk to the director of the pre-school to put a stop to it.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Thats IGNORANT AND RUDE!! Talk to whomever is running the pre school and if its part of a real school district complain to the school board! Thats SO DAMN OUT OF LINE!!!!!!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• wow thats way rude.....i would think having the kids give her a little baby shower at the class would be ok and the kids could bring like a packet of wipes or bib or something is fine but to out right demand money/gift card is way rude.....i would if the teacher know this is happening and how upset she would be if she did know....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I have seen this frequently thoughout my son's elementary school years. Usually its a note from the class mom saying "We are collecting a gift for the teacher for Christmas (or what ever holiday or toward a baby shower) , we are requesting that each child bring in $5 to go toward the gift'. Granted, I never say a "need to", but it amounts to the same thing.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• That's VERY rude and inappropriate. It should be your dicretion what or if to give the teacher for her baby, and if someone is organising a class thing for her, it should certainly be written as a request not a requirement. Who-ever did the note is an ass. Not sure if I'd do it or not. They've put you in an awkward situation hey. Did it come sanctioned/signed by the principal? If not, I'd show it to the Principal and see what he or she thinks about that. Take it from there. It is certainly rude at best. Also unethical and unprofessional.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• WOW! That is TOTALLY inappropriate! and I think I would probably be letting the principle or someone know exactly how I felt about being DEMANDED to provide ANYTHING for someone I barely know just because they got pregnant...that should be a choice not something you are forced to do
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2011