How do I keep lice at bay around my home.

I have tried everything in the books on keeping head lice away. We have washed the bedding numerous times, vacuumed, sprayed galore and combed through everyones hair. Even dyed hair. My step daughter and my son keep it I have no idea how to rid everyone from it. Please help before the lice completely take over!

Jessabear87

Asked by Jessabear87 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm so sorry your going through this! We had the same problem with my DD several years ago. The little buggers get immune to everything out there.
    I think the only way we dealt with it, was cutting everyone's hair - SHORT.
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 10:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Have you made sure to do the shampoo twice? You're supposed to do it the first time, then a couple of weeks later in case any eggs that were left have hatched. I know I've heard that tea tree oil helps and I've also heard of people getting heavy duty stuff prescribed from the doctor for hard to get rid of cases. You poor thing. We've yet to deal with that, but I am dreading the day when/if my son brings it home from school. It makes me itch just thinking of it!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:49 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Yeah we have done that. The problrm is not killing them per se, its moreso keeping them at bay at home. We just went through my step daughters hair and in 2 weeks time, she became severly infested. My 5 weeks old son even got them.
    Jessabear87

Comment by Jessabear87 (original poster) at 10:49 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• A friend of mine had this problem!  She just had a lot of siblings in school and they could NOT keep lice out of their house.  They finally got rid of it by putting cooking oil in everyones hair and then putting a shower cap over it.  THEN they did all of the furniture and bedding and stuff.  They stayed with those shower caps on for a few days NONSTOP but it did work.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I think our couch may be the problem in the home... I have no idea how to get rin od them unless maybe we bomb the house?
    Jessabear87

Comment by Jessabear87 (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Yes, they had to bomb too.  They did everything at once.  Put the shower caps on early the first morning then they bombed, then they sprayed, washed, and put everything in plastic bags.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I heard this shampoo works. You can get it on Amazon. It's called: Fairy Tales Rosemary Repel Shampoo
    Anonymous

• We had trouble with lice for about a year; my girls who were then still in Primary school, have long long hair, down to their butts. How I eventually got on top of the problem was to wash everyone's hair with KP24 chemical lice treatment every Sunday - and it took months of every Sunday washing, whether there seemed to be lice there or not. Including me and DH. Good luck, and I totally sympathise. Hate those bugs!!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:59 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• They are so irritating. Is there any particular product out on the market that works on bombing the house the best?
    Jessabear87

Comment by Jessabear87 (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My girls had the same problem about 5 years ago... we tried everything including over the counter and prescription shampoos. What finally worked for us was putting mayo in their hair and putting a shower cap on and having them sleep in it overnight. We had to use Dawn dishsoap to get it out of their hair but it totally took care of the lice. We did it a second time after a couple of weeks and we haven't had a problem since.
    PeachyApple

Answer by PeachyApple at 11:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2011