Would you open your home up to a stranger?

Ok so I look on craigslist for things and found an ad for a man looking for a room in return for home work. Now I email and found out his back story is horrible. He was married with 4 kids and the two year old fell in the pool under his ex wifes watch and due to the hospital stays and court dates of divorce he lost his job. He found another but got laid off. He is living out of his car and the four kids are with the mother but due to a new bo and a baby on the way she wants them out. Heartless bitch. I want to help but have to convince my hubby, he is gone most nights for work and I know he is not goin to like the idea. I think I have enough room for the four girls it would be crowded but at least they would be with the parent that actually wants them. Would you open your home, and how would you convince you hubby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Probably not, I don't trust people...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I'd ask hubby to give him a chance, for example check that his story matches up and that he can prove who he his etc, then give him a trial where you watch him very carefully, and make sure you tell hubby that he's the one who's to be vigilant, that'd probably convince my husband. Just make sure you let him check out all about the man before he moves in.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 10:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• No I wouldn't. Even if I did a background cheek on him..Their are to many crazies out their. You never know if his is one of them. I thought of doing that when the hurricanes hit louisiana.  But didn't want some crazy, bad people in my house.

Answer by louise2 at 10:07 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• not in this day and age people are flipping crazy these days
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:09 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• That is a horrible story, and I feel horrible for him, but I have to say I wouldn't do it. You don't know him, and it's too easy to make up a story that makes people feel sorry for you. That's too big a risk to let someone in your home like that.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:29 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Instead of inviting the man to live with you, you could provide the man with information on local shelters, food banks, churches that offer clothing/household assistance, etc....maybe even put him in touch with a local job corps (depends on your state, but we have them here & they provide free training too) or ask around to friends and/or relatives if they know of any job openings that the man could apply for (even get the applications and mail them to the man). I know it is a sad story, and if it were a relative or close friend I'd say go for it, but with a complete stranger - no.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:42 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I would NEVER open my home to some stranger I met on Craigslist.

Seriously.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 11:09 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I probably couldn't bring myself to trust a stranger that much. There are homeless shelters that will take whole families and help him get back on his feet if his story is legitimate.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I wouldn't under the circumstances. There are shelters and soup kitchens for those folks if he truly is in need. Sounds like a sad story, but as the other posters said, you can't trust anyone these daysn (and Craigslist of all places?!). Now on the other hand...there was a whole houseful of folks being turned out on the streets due to a landlord rift with the local city govt. I thought if I had my lower rooms done (we're in the midst of remodeling), I would definitely open my home up to one of these families and I don't even live in that city anymore.
    GardenPrincess

Answer by GardenPrincess at 1:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• TROLL! I call BS on this one too!
    Anonymous