When will/did you move your child forward facing?

Are these new suggestions of age and weight changing your mind when to forward face? 

TsMommy428

Asked by TsMommy428 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• 20 lbs and 1 yr old, that's the rule I've heard, the rearfacing til 40 lbs LAST I KNEW- was merely a recommendation by the AAP or whomever. Just stating the idea that it's safer, but was not actually made into law. I'm not sure if it has in the last several months, but mine were all turned around by their first birthday if they were 20 lbs which mine all were. Plus the leg thing- by that age, their legs are constantly bent if they remain backwards. I couldn't sit like that for long car rides, I'm sure as hell not gonna put undue stress on my kids' knees.
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 12:24 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Snap...here comes the claws...
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My son was forward faced at 20lbs in 1996.

My next one will forward face when they hit 40lbs and 49ins...the max of their seat.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I moved mine when their legs were to long to face backwards. It would have crushed their legs if they had been rear facing and an accident had accrued. I think it should depend on the child.

sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 11:15 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• sorry when my sons legs got too long he started facing forward when he was REAL young he was a long kid but skinny. If I had to wait for the whole 40lbs thing my kid would still be rear facing and he is almost 4 1/2 yrs old. All this extra precautions is just absurd IMO
    acastle2

Answer by acastle2 at 1:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Kids are WAY more flexible than adults. ALL of the testing prove that rearfacing is 500 times safer. There are NO instances of broken or crushed legs in an older rearfacing child. The number one injury to a forward facing child is: BROKEN/CRUSHED legs and pelvis fractures followed by spinal injuries. Your kids legs are more likely to be uncomfortable just from dangling when forward facing than they will ever be when rearfacing.

The rearfacing center installed carseat has also be developed the nickname by EMT of: The Orphan Seat. Why? Because in a crash, that child is far likely to out survive anyone else in the car.

Besides, the RULE is NOT 4lbs. The new recommendations are 2 y/o and 30lbs. I will however, turn mine when they hit the MAX for the safest seat I could find. Which is 40lbs and 49in.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• 1 year old
    vgaines

Answer by vgaines at 4:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• BradenIsMySon

• My oldest son was about 15 months when he went FF, my other son was almost 3.5 y/o when he went FF. I advocate that a child should rear face until the max limit of their convertible car seat.
    GlamFangirl_48

Answer by GlamFangirl_48 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2011