Can you use nuvaring while breastfeeding?

hi there! i was prescribed nuvaring and im still breastfeeding but on the instructions it says to not use nuvaring while breastfeeding because it can cause jaundice and a lower amount of breastmilk. just wondering if it was really safe to use or not. thanks for all the help ladies :-)

thenguyenclan

Asked by thenguyenclan at 10:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would NOT use it because ANY birthcontrol with ANY hormones can cause you to lose your milk. I would recommend that you contact a lactation consultant ASAP and discuss birth control options with them and then contact your doctor about birth control if you decide to switch.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:59 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• A nuvaring operates on hormones just like the regular pill. Generally drs won't prescribe bc with hormones. My dr did prescribe the regular pill for me after my 3rd pregnancy. I had gotten pg on the minipill after my 2nd, my marriage wasn't doing well, my oldest had just been diagnosed with autism at 3 and he figured the risks to me of getting pg again at that time outweighed any risks to my daughter of me taking the pill and possibly transferring hormones to her in my breastmilk. Talk to your dr before you take it.

Answer by missanc at 9:25 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Nuvaring is a known supply killer.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:25 AM on Apr. 18, 2011