Why do you think people delay medical care or just wait it out?

gonna put this in kids health since it was inspired by a recent kids health post on here.

At most you'll be out a $20 medical co-pay unless you're on free medical (not judging, alot of us are right now!) .... why would you wait? waste time? seek advice of strangers? if it's medical advice you seek why not call the nurse line or the ER? If my child was in sudden acute pain with bloated organs the last place you'd find me is cafemom

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I'd have to say money. My out of pocket for ER is $50, but I'd call comeone if I had to to borrow money, if I had, too.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Some people can neither afford insurance nor get free medical.

My daughter has free medical, but I didn't have insurance for me until recently (I get a cheap rate through my university) and my DH still doesn't have any insurance. We wait it out for our stuff.

She hasn't had any medical issues yet (knock on wood).

I agree though, if my daughter was having a medical emergency, I would seek help immediately, no matter what was going on. Maybe the mom you are referring to (I haven't seen the post) isn't sure if her baby is having a medical emergency?
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 11:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• i believe that most people wait due to the cost of medical care itself... over 80% of pregnant mothers in the USA alone are NOT insured... its rather sad and troubling...

Obviously, if any child is in immediate danger or pain they are rushed to the hospital before anywhere or anyone else! Yet some feel that their particular situation may not be "serious" enough to warrant that type of action just yet or at all so seek advise from others who may have experience the same issues (such as on cafemom) and could then possibly give them a better understanding or direction.
    You'd be surprised just how many moms are really lost at first and have no idea what to do about the smallest things if they never have been around children before or dont have a good support system to help them with those things...thats why we have CafeMom...lol... To have unlimited support and resources to assist us with some things we just may not have known!
    xXShutterflyXx

Answer by xXShutterflyXx at 11:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Honestly, it pees me off.  The questions about whether to take them to the Dr. or not, I've MAYBE read one or 2 that I wouldn't actually take them to the Dr. for.  There are always the high temperature questions.  Um hello, go to the freaking Dr. already.  It's official, I'm grumpy tonight, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• There are a lot of reasons. Unfortunately a lot of people fall through the cracks of not being able to afford insurance, we were among those people a few years ago, and not being poor enough to get on assistance. Back then we were extremely frugal and did manage to get insurance for our son but we couldn't afford it for us too. We have wonderful family who would help if we were absolutely broke but we'd rather have overdrafted the bank account than ask for help because we felt like we needed to take care of our son ourselves. These days we have insurance on us all but the bad economy has hit us hard and once I had to use our car insurance and phone money to get our kids to the doctor which was $50 since they charged a co-pay for each of them and then nearly another $100 in medicine. I chopped $25 off by asking the doctor for samples. DH and I tend to wait it out for us but not for them. They get care.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• 1. It's a guy (I'm in no way sexist but it seems guys never want to go to the DR)
    2. No insurance
    3. Insurance but no time to go to the doctor because of the job you have to afford insurance.....
    Liamsmom1024

Answer by Liamsmom1024 at 11:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Not all people have a simple 20 co-pay... some have PPO's where they have to meet a 3-5000 deductible/per person before there insurance will pay 80 percent. Some people don't have ANY health insurance!! Plus, you aren't really getting the whole story here anyways... so maybe you need to walk a mile in their shoes before you judge.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I wait out certain things - ear aches, colds, etc. But if my child cries in pain, etc, I'm on the phone to the doctor immediately, if not on my way to the ER. Money be damned.
    Anonymous

• I would take him to the Doctor. Gastric extension can be caused by too much air in the stomach,Starvation, gas from acidic foods, or food poison. Did he fall or get hit in the stomach? Kidney infection can cause this too.
    Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 12:31 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• my son's been to the dr a total of two times for being sick, i'm old school when it comes to illness but if i thought it were life threatening i wouldn't hesitate to take him to the er
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:36 AM on Apr. 18, 2011