What is the best way to lose weight if you are disabled, but in dire need to drop at least 20 lbs?

meatums

Asked by meatums at 11:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• exercise bike? how are you disabled? Maybe go see a physical therapist
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:52 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I have an exercise bike that I ride, but it doesn't seem like it's doing any good! I have Muscular Dystrophy which is a muscle weakness and I use a walker to assist me. I guess I better ride longer, and more often then! ;-)
    meatums

Comment by meatums (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Find a water exercise program at your local pool or YMCA. I used to work at one of my local Y's. There are water walking classes, arthritis classes, high/low energy/impact. Whatever you need there's probably a class for you, or a current class can be modified. I used to take a Mommy and Me water exercise class when my 4 year old was 8 months old. THAT instructor had been teaching for 10+ years.
    Some benefits of water exercise:
    1) you get the same workout in half the time as a land workout.
    2) buoyancy while in the water
    3) if you can't do X exercise there is almost ALWAYS an alternative that does the same thing that you CAN do
    4) you body is so busy sending a panicked message of "I'm TOUCHING WATER!!!!" to your brain that the pain signals can't get through (great for arthritis classes)
    There are probably more but those are the ones that come quickly to mind.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:17 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Thank u so much for that info! With Summer coming up, that sounds like the ideal solution! ;-)
    meatums

Comment by meatums (original poster) at 12:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Smaller portions and eating several times a day can help over time, especially with an exercise program. Also check with your insurance if you need help paying for an exercising course. DH's grandmother is disabled and was able to get a prescription for a water aerobics class that was partially covered.
    CrazyMommy87

Answer by CrazyMommy87 at 12:43 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Thank u! That was going to be my next question! lol
    meatums

Comment by meatums (original poster) at 12:56 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I was going to say Pilates- because while that doesn't automatically drop weight, it does help lose inches- but not sure if you're able to do that. Water aerobics is probably the best way to go. It's also what and how much you're eating...along with when you're eating. There's a book, "The Beck Diet Solution for Life: How to Think Like a Thin Person", and it teaches the ability of weight loss through cognitive behavioral therapy...it's about training your body to do things differently (like always eat sitting down, plan meals ahead, don't eat in front of tv/computer, don't eat before bed, etc) which help for weight loss. It does mention working out, but there are a lot of things you can do that this book helps with. Good luck :)
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 18, 2011