Anyone ever deal with CPS?

What's the best approach in dealing with an investigation from Child Protective Services? we are being investigated for not medicating our child for a condition that he doesnt officaly have. We are working on getting him a second medical oppinon, and have changed peditricians. I'm scared, I dont know what to expect from these folks, and I dont know what they are going to be judging us on. Anyone deal with them before? Do we need to get a Lawyer? I'm already doing everything I can...anyone know what I can expect from these folks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• What is the problem with your child and maybe I can help you.
    Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 12:02 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Just be upfront and honest with them. Make sure they see that you are being attentive and proactive with the possible medical issue and that you have it all DOCUMENTED. Best wishes
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:04 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I have friends that have dealt with CPS and basically they require certain guidelines to follow according to whatever the case may be and if you follow their instructions, you should be okay! I never heard of them being contacted because of medication!
    meatums

Answer by meatums at 12:08 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• It was his "now former" peditrician that made the call when we took him in for a cold and a (double ear infection that we were not aware of, he never complained, and he is teething atm ). when she asked us if he was on any medication we told her no, and she asked about the BP meds that his nephrologist had percribed and we told her no. (he shows no signs of hypertention and our cartiologist told us that he didint have it. what he does have is cysts on his kidneys and possibly his liver so any medication there is a risk of kidney damage) She decided to take his BP (first time she has ever done so, even thou we requested numours times for her to do so at the begining) told us that it was high (we know this. and since we were having reluctancy with our peditrician monitoring his BP we got a cuff and do so ourselves, its high. (he is a very large kid, ) and he was also on Ecmo where they tied off one of his main arteries...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• We havent been able to speak to our Nephrologist about his medication, and since his BP was stable, and his cartiologist says he doesnt have hypertention, we took him off it because of the risk to his renal function (which we also monitor and is doing very well).
    Our "now former) peditricain refuesed to monitor his care, and has never taken a BP read on him before. She also over percribed his antibiotics for his ears, (which she did not check at the follow up) and I had to take him to ready care to deal with his reaction to the meds. (he is on a dif antibiotic now and doing well, and we have a different ped. I can not get ahold of his Nephrologist and I have asked her repeatedly for a referal to a research hospital down state that specilizes in PKD (poly cystic kidney deasease) and she has refused the referal and instead called CPS on us. I am doing all I can to cooperate with them..but I'm still scared. Ive heard horrors
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:42 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• When dealing with CPS you will most likely have to give details about the situation as to why you haven't given him the meds etc. I know when I reported someone I also got investigated so I had to turn in a few names of people who vouched for me as a parent saying I was a good mom don't neglect my child etc. I would give your friends and or family a heads up b/c its always disturbing to head "Hi my name is Dave and I am from CPS" Good luck I dont think a lawyer is needed unless your former pediatrician keeps up with the stuff and if she never did the BP to begin with then she wasn't doing her job b/c its part of the original screening when you get height temp weight and BP checked. I wish you the best of luck and hope your child gets better
    acastle2

Answer by acastle2 at 1:36 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• even if CPS feels there may be no grounds for a call they have to come out and investigate. you need to let the worker know everything that has went on with the former ped. it is also good to have names of people that know about the situation and that can tell the worker about you and that you are a good mom.
    rjsmomma521

Answer by rjsmomma521 at 7:08 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• we met with them and has an hour meeting. they said they woud call if they needed anything more from us. I dont think we have anything to worry about, but its been real scary, since in the minds of most folks if they are investigating you you must be doiing something wrong...and as far as I know we are not. I looked up the information, lawyers can make it worse so we are just doing what we can to work with everyone right now..*sigh* thanks for the responses. I hope this all works out ok.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:19 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• i don't know anything about cps but i know all about polycystic kidney disease. m father has had it his whole life so i know how frustrating it can be so here's a random stranger ((hug))
    ibebreezy

Answer by ibebreezy at 5:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2011