Is it safe for my six month old to eat ramen?

He LOVES it. And he fusses at me when I eat some and don't give him any. I, of course, tear very small pieces of the noodles off and he gums them and swallows. Doesn't choke. Doesn't throw up. And it's chili flavored of all things. Just wanted to make sure it's safe for him to eat before I continue to allow him to eat it.

Hi.. and don't speak to me like I'm an idiot and don't know I'm the parent. Instead of continuing what I was doing, I asked if it was safe, correct. So drop the attitude. K, thanks :)

Micro_Kitty

Asked by Micro_Kitty at 12:03 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• of course he's going to love it just like a 6 month old puppy loves to gets some people food...but either way you have to be the adult and say no and give them what is best...
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• At 6 months?  Not for mine.  I would be worried not so much about choking but as in their digestive tract.  I wouldn't do it but your the mama. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• MrsHouston - Thanks. That's the kind of answer I was looking for. I didn't know if his digestive tract would be mature enough at this point. He eats whole jars of baby food at a time LoL He's a little porker :)
    Micro_Kitty

Comment by Micro_Kitty (original poster) at 12:19 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I'd be REAL concerned about him choking on the pieces, but if you're tearing the noodles into small bits and are right there next to him, I'd say small amounts now and then shouldn't hurt. I wouldn't give him a whole bowl of ramen and walk away, but I think you're a better Momma than that. ;)
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:25 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Togo - Yeah, so other than irritate me your "answer" didn't really answer anything. Just so you know. I REALIZE I'm the adult. And like I said, instead of just feeding him the ramen I asked IF IT WAS SAFE OR NOT. Good lord, you act like I'm one of those moms that leave their baby alone in the car or something. Perhaps you should change your tone or just not "answer" any questions.. Or the correct way to say that is: Change your tone or don't decide to post some stupid comment on some one's question because you have some pent up aggression for being such a prude. Thanks :)
    Micro_Kitty

Comment by Micro_Kitty (original poster) at 12:28 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Mine did too!  :)  I googled it but I didn't find anything to support that it wouldn't be considered "safe".  I gave my 3 month old a bite of birthday cake though and got bashed on here for it so maybe I'm not the one to answer this question, lol.  Ohhhhh, look at his poop after he eats it and see if it looks extremely hard or like diarrhea. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:28 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Rosehawk - LoL thanks for that :)

MrsHouston - I'll make sure I check his poop. And really? I don't see anything wrong with giving a baby a small bite of cake. I mean, you're the one that has to deal with the hyperness LoL but I don't see why you got bashed for it. That's ridiculous.
    Micro_Kitty

Comment by Micro_Kitty (original poster) at 12:46 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Yeah, I know!  I didn't give her an entire piece just a little bite.  Okay, maybe more than just an itty bitty bite but come on, we were celebrating, lol.  When I first started giving the bottled foods, the Dr. said to watch for poop, that's how I would be able to tell if they were ready for them or not.  It's freaking gross though, lol.  I just want to hurry up and wipe and pretend like I'm on a beach somewhere rather than look at poop, ha ha.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:02 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My only concern, aside from choking but you've covered that, would be that most ramen is very high in sodium. Not the noodles themselves, but the flavouring has a lot of salt. Maybe just give him some plain noodles, though if you're just giving him a very little bit it's probably not that big a worry.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:36 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Way too much sodium for a baby!!

Answer by missanc at 9:04 AM on Apr. 18, 2011