How do I get my 1 year old to sleep through the night?

ma2BLM2010

Asked by ma2BLM2010 at 12:04 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does he/she still take a bottle/sippie at night?? My 3rd slept through the night by 3 months old, but then later on decided a 3 am feeding was appropriate, I broke her of it by getting her up, changing her diaper, and laying her back in bed. No other contact though- no kisses, hugs, just business only! lol She never took a binky, she sucked her middle two fingers, but she only cried 5 minutes that first night, then as the week went on, she'd fuss a second and calm herself down, and before too long, maybe a month? She was sleeping through the night again. I just put my littlest, 14 months old, upstairs and I think shes already figured it out that she can put herself back to sleep cuz I didn't hear her cry at all last night.
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Well up until he was 4 months old he would wake up between 1 and 3 times a night, then he started to sleep all night, and then around 9 months he started to get up once and scream until I gave him a bottle and he still does it. I have tried to just let him cry, but that doesn't work. Every now and then giving him his pacy helps. I just wish he would sleep all night because I don't like giving him a milk bottle in the middle of the night because I don't want it to sit on his teeth and cause cavities. I have also tried giving him a bottle of water instead of milk and he throws it across the room.
    ma2BLM2010

Comment by ma2BLM2010 (original poster) at 12:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Babies sleep patterns will change for a couple years...my daughter is 2 1/2 and may still wake up occasionally...at 1 year old they are still babies and sometimes need to be fed, rocked back to sleep. I am completely against just letting a baby cry themselves to sleep, or leave them alone...they are babies....Some people get lucky and others don't. My daughter slept better at 8 months old than she did at 18 months old...The book "the no cry sleep solution" is a great book...and honestly, giving him some diluted milk every now and then will NOT rot his teeth..it's a lot different if he's going to sleep with a juice bottle every night and it's pooling in the back of the mouth. Do what YOU Feel is best for you and your baby.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:28 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Unfortunately, you trained him to wake up for a bottle. You said yourself he slept through the night then started wakiing again...but you gave him bottle and guess what? it starts a habit...By 1 years old, their bodies are able to go 11, 12 hours at night without nourishment. Ask any doctor!! They don't need it. It's a HABIT. The longer you go the worse it will be to break. You need to break it asap. Sorry to be so militant, but it will continue unless you do something. When he wakes, go in without picking him up calm him however you can. He will cry. Kneel at his crib, put your hand on his back or tummy or whatever, but help him to fall back. Don't pick him up. It may take 20-30 min.... it may happen a few nights...but stick it out. You and your baby deserve to sleep through the night....
    madaboutmad

Answer by madaboutmad at 11:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2011