When your friend's child cusses

A friend of mine has a 20 month old son who very frequently says the words "oh shit" and "shithead". She giggles while saying, "omg thats so bad" and ocassionally tells him not to say that. I'm concerned that he says "shithead" especially. This mom admits to yelling and cussing at him and so I'm worried he is called that at home when he's being a "brat" as she says. My son is around him occasionally and I'm concerned that this childs behavior will negatively influence my son. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have a horrible problem with cursing.  Naturally, my kids have picked up a word here and there.  It's not that hard to get them to stop though but I can see why her child hasn't.  Laughing at them while telling them no?  Does that actually work for anyone in any situation?  I just told my kids that I'm working on my potty mouth and that they need not repeat those words.  Amazing how simple it is, lol.  No I don't see it being a bad influence thing.  They are going to hear cursing.  You can't control what they hear in public.  However if this is a child your child spends a lot of time with, I'd say something to the mama.  I wouldn't be rude but I'd tell her that I seriously don't want my kids picking up that language so until he/she stops, playdates stop.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:11 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I don't have this problem because my son is only 1 yr old, but when people, myself and husband included, are around him we refrain from using any foul language because I don't want him to learn those bad words. It is sad that the parents call him those names and it could negatively affect him.
    ma2BLM2010

Answer by ma2BLM2010 at 12:11 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• No matter what we do they will learn the words at School the Tv Music all we can do is teach them that its not appropriate for them to say those words.
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:13 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Due to having friends that have bad kids, we would have a sit down with our kids every time they planned to come visit- explaining things like, I don't care if he jumps off your bed, you tell him WE DON'T DO THAT and come get me and daddy. Or the throwing issues, backtalk, running in the house, pushing people down, etc. Well long story short- between all the broken beds, toys, movies, etc, we've not been friends with them for a long time and my kids, and my husband and I are so much happier. Some times, when a good friend isn't a good parent, it's worth while to just lose the friend. It's harsh, but in the long run, sounds like it may save you the years of anguish we've been through. Some friends just aren't worth having.
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• my son would never go around them again... i don't even allow profanity around my son... my husband and i do now and would never swear in front of him nor do i allow others too... my son is 2 and i think it is the most dirtest and most tasteless thing a parent would ever let there child do... and if they are okay with it and giggle and think it's cute... then that is a friend my son and i don't need.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2011