Sharing toys

My son is a very nice almost-two year old. He LOVES to share and has always done so willingly. My issue is that some of the other kids (my friends' children who are 20 months) do not like to share at all. Their toys or my sons! Today at the park each boy had their own ball and my son went back and forth playing with whichever ball the other boy didnt' have. There were times when the other child took the ball straight from my childs hands. I didnt know what to do. I didn't want him taking it repeatedly from my son but I also didn't know how to "discipline" the other child. I'm afraid that I'm instilling in my son that he needs to share but when it comes to people not sharing with him thats okay. My son had to give up on his own toy because this other child took it and I told him just to get the other one. There was no consequence for the other child. I dont want my son growing up thinking its ok for people to treat him unfairly and like a door mat. Advice please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• We have this problem with a friend of ours who has a 3 year old daughter.  If I had been in that situation I would have taken the ball back from him as soon as he snatched it out of my childs hands.  I would have told the child "no, you don't take".  Does the kid have any siblings?  I've noticed with that friend of mine, her other children are a lot older then the 3 year old so she just hasn't actually learned how to share yet.  I don't think discipline is needed but teaching definitely is.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Remind him it's nice to share when someone ASKS first. Tell the other kid, if you want the ball, you have to ask nicely and take turns. Theres nothing wrong with taking the ball back, giving it to your son and giving the other child the opportunity to do the right thing. If he still doesn't get it, offer him the other ball until he can be polite. I've done this to random kids at the park, worst case scenario, it scares the kid and they don't come back, but if you're persistant, he'll eventually get that he's not getting the ball til he learns to ask nicely. GL
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 12:32 AM on Apr. 18, 2011