I'm at a loss.

I'm trying to get dd out of our bed. It's time,..I'm 7 months pregnant, almost 8 months, and our bed is getting crowded..we want to be fair to our kids and treat them equally (so we don't want the baby to feel like "why can't I when sister can), so this is really the perfect time to get her to her own room. I'm just at a loss on how to go about this. We started last night, and it was a major fail..dh went in and laud down with her, which I feel like was a no-no bc she needs to sleep on her own, and he wound up falling asleep with her..he gets bck to our bed and 5 minutes later, here dd comes crying and dh just puts her in bed with us...great, we've already gone two steps back to not even get one step forward..grr...so tonight was again another fail. I decided to try and get her on a schedule while moving to her own room,..dinner at 5 bath at 6 and in bed by 8. She was exhausted tonight and I figures it was prime time to get her in bed..not so much..every 5 minutes or less, she was yelling "come check on me" and crying because she would hear a car drive by. I tucked her in at least 50 times tonight. She has a night light a baby to sleep with and her room OSS the closest one to ours so she doesn't feel so far away from us. So back to tonight, I have her lay down at 8, knowing it wouldn't be an easy night, but at 10:30 she was still wide awake and yelling "momma momma momma" over and over and over, as she's crawling down the hallway. I tried going in every few minutes and reminding her that it was bedtime, and that if she would stay in her bed all night that we would start getting her the pink bedroom that she's been asking for. But, nothing worked. I finally gave in and let her sleep on her little couch beside our bed, and she was out within 5 minutes. What do I do? I don't want get to feel like she's not welcome in our room if she has a bad dream or anything, but I want my bed back. Advice? She's turning 3 in June.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Our son just moved out of our bed, now sleeps with the puppy
    He is 7
    MamiColleen

Answer by MamiColleen at 3:17 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I am sorry I do not know what to tell you neither one of my kids slept with me, good luck!
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 8:21 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Supernanny Jo Frost has a technique called "The Sleep Separation Technique" which works like a charm. There isn't enough space here to give you the steps, but Google it.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• The Supernanny approach - do your sleeptime routine and tell the child it is time to sleep & you will be nearby. Then sit on the floor in her room with your back to the bed. If she gets up you calmly put her back in bed with no talking. If she simply talks a lot, let her, but you do not talk. You might have to put her back in bed over and over and this may last several nights. If you decide to leave the room the same thing is done. Put her back over and over.  It's easier to stay in the room IMO.  But the key is no talking and do it over and over.  She will eventually learn that getting up does no good.  You can provide her with a sippy cup of water near the bed beforehand if she is apt to ask for water.  GL!!

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:27 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Start with a pallet on your floor in your room and slowly move the pallet out of there. She has slept with you for almost 3 years, it isn't going to be a quick fix, not only is she used to the comfort of having her parents by her side she is also accustomed to the sounds you guys make in your sleep. Start slow, take your time and don't expect just cause you are ready for the change that she is, baby steps.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:46 AM on Apr. 18, 2011