How can i get him to sleep ALL night??

I have a 18 month old ds who does not sleep all threw the night i thought it was me. But i have talked with other moms from church, and they said that there lil ones were sleeping all night at 6 months old. Well here is my son at 18 month old still waking up anywhere from 3-5 times a night. He eats healthy meals, with 2 snacks a day. He gets a bath an hour before bed, he spends time with bot my husband and me daily, he runs around out like a normal child should. But still he wakes up at night. He cant be afraid of the dark, i have had a touch lap that was my great grandmothers in his room and its on dim(3 light settings). So what can i do to help him sleep all night!! Its not like my husband and i aint use to not getting a full nights rest but he is getting ready to turn 2 soon and my grandparents want to take him on over night trips but could you imagine 70 year olds getting up 3-5 times a night?? So do you suggest?? Im open for anything???

Manda725

Asked by Manda725 at 1:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what time does he go to bed? When he wakes up is it because of a dirty diaper or something along those lines? just curious
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 2:10 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My daughter is 2 1/2 and will still have nights where she wakes up...a lot of the time she is hungry....if you need to give him a little bottle to go back to sleep, then do so. Make sure you're consistent with bed times and naps too..if my daughter misses her nap or it's not very long, she will sleep horribly....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:36 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• he could also be having a growth spurt too...their sleep patterns change.
    calliesmommie

• The child I take care of does this too. He takes one nap a day now so if your baby is taking two it might be too much napping. If the baby is not crying when he wakes leave him be and he might get back to sleep on his own. But sometimes kids are two and older before they sleep all night. Each child is different.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:12 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My son is 20 months and we have recently gone to 1 nap during the day. Maybe he is napping too much. I know my son wakes up at least once every night, because I can hear him talking to himself. Unless he's crying or calling out for me, I let him go back to sleep on his own. If he does call out, which is getting to be less & less, I will go in, not pick him up, but just rub his back and remind him its night-night time. Then I will sit in the rocker in his room for maybe 5-10 minutes just to reassure him I am there, and then go back to bed.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My parents did get up 3-5 times a night in their 70s... the bladder doesn't hold as well, y'know! My mother said she slept more when I was a baby... and she hardly slept then either...

Your son sounds quite normal. He will sleep all night when HE is ready to. Keep things dark and quiet and conducive to sleep. That's really all you CAN do. The rest is up to him.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:03 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• He gets a banana 30 min before bed, with a 6oz cup of soy milk when laying down for bed. and at nap somedayshe takes one and others he dont.
    Manda725

Comment by Manda725 (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2011