Should I send my child to pre-school?

I am not a fan of pre-school. Since I am fortunate enough to be a stay at home mom I think my son would leran more from one on one time with me. I don't think they have anything other than a good source for social development to offer that I can't offer everyday at home. I need some feedback please.

SunShine_31

Asked by SunShine_31 at 2:06 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I stay at home also and have gone back and forth with this...My daughter is 2 1/2. My conclusion is this...she will be in school soon enough and as far as socialization goes...there are PLENTY of things kids can do without going to school. My daughter does swimming, gymnastics, etc...in gym, they teach structure (my reason for putting her in) so they can take direction from an authority figure. They also learn to socialize with other kids....You are the childs best teacher..simple as that. My daughter knows colors, count to 20 in English, 10 in Spanish, ABC's, etc...that;s just from teaching her in the tub!! They are little sponges and will listen and learn everything you teach them. She understands the Spanish my husband speaks also....do what you feel is right...just remember, they grow up too fast and will be in school before you know it :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:23 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I agree with the other mom. Most parents send their kids to preschool because they work. I think its awesome that your a stay at home mom-I am old school and I feel if you want kids you should raise them. Although I really do understand that parents have to work for financial reasons. You are just fine, play and enjoy your youngster while you can.
    dmr73059

Answer by dmr73059 at 3:04 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I never went to preschool and was one of the most intelligent children in kindergarten- I didn't have trouble socializing or adjusting. I think preschool can benefit some children, but it's not necessary for every child. Seeing as you're a SAHM there's really no reason for preschool, except the socialization. When your daughter is 4 1/2 you might think about 2 days a week, half day, just to get her used to not being with you all the time (which once again they'll learn in kindergarten) It's really a personal choice, you need to do what is right for you and your child.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 7:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• its good for him to be around other kids his age :) maybe have play dates and teach him at home :)
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 2:08 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• the interaction and waiting in line will allow your son to become ready for kindergarten.
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 2:20 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• yes. I would and I did. It really helped my son thrive. Its proven that children who get an early start on education are more likely to attend college than those that don't. (Before anyone talks crap to me about it, I didn't do the study and I don't know for sure I don't have that kind of time on my hands) All I know is I got a late start on college and I didn't go to preschool. DH never went to preschool and he didn't go to college either. I dunno. But it helped our son. He's made friends and the association with kids his own age and being able to be away for a few hours a day made both of us happier and it didn't lessen our bond or happiness in anyway
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 3:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My daughter will be 4 in July, she has been at home with me all that time, never in any type of daycare, she just started at pre kindy about 8 weeks ago, just 2 days a week and she LOVESSSSSS it! I really do think she benefited by being at home spending so much time with family, I wouldnt change that for the world, however I knew she was more than ready for it, so it made our decision easy and I know it was the right thing for her.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• It's up to you. My dd (who's 3 in a little over a month) wants to go to school. Being a sahm, I don't see the need for adding an extra bill to the monthly-s when she can learn from me and the learning workbooks. But, dh and I have talked about (bc we're a one car family right now) and both feel like in the coming months we need to put her in some sort of program so she does get that social interaction (like a mother's day out program 2-3 days a week for a few hours..she acts more like she's 5 as far as socially, but that's not the reason..we want her to interact with other kids her own age and for school to not be such a shock when she goes). Honestly, I would say don't worry about it as long as your lo I learning and thriving the way they would in preschool and hitting their milestones. Good luck!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 1:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I worked up until the end of January and my daughter was in daycare. She is 3 1/2 and misses it so much. She loved all her teachers and she talks about her friends all the time. That's why I'm putting her in preschool. She will learn some things and get to interact with other kids again. I am teaching her letters and how to spell things at home but she needs that interaction with kids her own age. Plus it will give me a little break for a few hours that she is in there. This way I can spend the time with my other daughter.
    Mom1127-0125

Answer by Mom1127-0125 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I put my 4 yo in pre school, and she loves it. She gets to interact with her peers 3 days a week, enjoy art activities, field trips, shared play, etc. Yeah, I can teach her everything she needs to know, and have taught her a lot. She STILL benefits from the socialization of pre school, and has become more familiar with the routing of a classroom. Pre school is not a NEED, but I see no disadvantage to it either. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2011