Any idea what they'll do if I go to the doctor?

I think I'm going to have to go to the doctor today. I think I may have a cracked rib or something. I can hardly breathe or move and I've been coughing up some blood (I had chest congestion from a cold, and I thought it was from my nose/sinuses at first, but I haven't had any blood at all showing up when I blow my nose, but I'm still convinced it probably is because of my sinuses).

Does anyone know what they'll do if I go to a general practitioner for this? I don't have a doctor (haven't had insurance since I was 18), so I guess I'm going to call my mom and ask her which of the ones at the clinic she likes best or something. I'll also try some of the income based clinics, first.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 2:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Health

• Well most likely they will do a few xrays to check your lungs because coughing up blood can sometimes be a symptom of a lung disease (like pneumonia or something), and an xray will also see if you broke a rib or whatever. But I don't think that would cause you to cough up blood. But I would DEFINITELY get in to the dr as soon as possible. Good luck!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:20 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My sister did crack a rib when she went rock climbing...they basically told her take it easy for a couple weeks and gave her pain killers/muscle relaxers...now, if you're coughing up blood and it's NOT a sinus problem, then there might be something more going on. If your breathing is fine, then is may be sinuses...you can cough up blood without anything coming from your nose, and still be sinuses...it drains to the back of your throat. They will also send you for an xray to confirm it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:19 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• THey will xray
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 2:20 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• the breathing hurts b/c your rib cage surrounds your diaphragm which is where your lungs are...it WILL hurt to breathe, that's normal with cracked ribs...Xrays are hundreds of dollars....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:32 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I could sort of breathe at first, but I haven't been able to take a deep breath since I got hurt. Now, I can hardly breathe at all and it feels like a knife is twisting in my chest even with shallow breaths.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 2:28 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Does anyone know roughly how much x-rays are?
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 2:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I'm just worried because I'm pretty sure I've had cracked ribs before, but I could at least breathe a little. Now, existing is killing me. I can't even take a shallow breath without seeing stars, and when I try to take a deep breath the pain is so bad things start to get fuzzy and dark.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 2:40 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• And I've also heard that when you have a rib injury and you can't take deep breaths, you're at risk for pneumonia.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 2:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• well if it is your ribs they wont do anything but maybe wrap them for you well you can do that at home but make sure you dont have namonia or something
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 6:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• You'll get a chest x-ray for both issues... hopefully you are only coughing up blood from the rib injury. But it's better to have that checked out to make sure you are not coughing up blood for any other reason... that could be deadly serious!!

There are a lot of little muscles in between your ribs that help you breath... that's one reason it hurts so much... muscles pull on the damages bone every time you breath and cause pain. They will wrap you torso to help support those muscles and the bone, give you pain killers and very necessary muscle relaxers. But more importantly they will r/o any serious lung illness/injury!! Feel better!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2011