How do you get the vomit smell out of a rug or carpet?

My family and I have had a stomach bug for the last few days. My 8 year old ran to my room to tell me he needed to throw up (you know, instead of heading to the toilet) and puked all over one of my oriental rugs. I cleaned the vomit, but the smell is still there. Anyone have advice on how to make the smell go away besides burning the darn thing?

momjoy1027

Asked by momjoy1027 at 10:18 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Home & Garden

• vinegar, it's all natural and won't take any of the colors out. Add a little baking soda to it to lift out anything you might have missed........then soak up the liquid with dry towels. good luck!
    GumboGirl

Answer by GumboGirl at 10:30 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• febreeze and lots of it!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:20 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Make a solution of 50/50 water and vinegar it should take the smell away.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 10:30 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Pet odor eliminator. The powder stuff you put on carpet before you vacuum. and leave it sit there fo rawhile.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 10:34 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Vinegar will take the smell away
    LizWithAvon

Answer by LizWithAvon at 10:56 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• If white vinegar doesn't work, try some pure vodka. I make a carpet and furniture spray out of vodka. It traps odors and freshens and doesn't leave an "alcohol" smell to it either. Good luck! My daughter has thrown up countless times on my rug and couch before and the only thing that seems to take the smell away is vodka.
    evasmamma

Answer by evasmamma at 3:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• You need an anti-microbrial or enzyme product. You can get it at any carpet cleaning distributor. My hubby is a carpet cleaner and has taken care of this problem lots of times. Worth the money ladies! :) It will come in a powder or liquid form.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 8:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• We use a product called Sol-u-mel. It's only available online, but it takes out stains and smells, even ones as tough as vomit. And it's completely safe for animals and kids - nothing dangerous in it. I would never, ever use anything else!
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 7:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Borax
    you can get it at walmart next to the laundry detergent. works the best for smells ..and its cheap
    CocoMason

Answer by CocoMason at 11:15 PM on Dec. 20, 2008