This music teacher?

My daughter taking music lessons from a teacher whose daughter at the same school, the same grade level as my daughter. The teacher herself is Russian, married to American, we are Russian couple. Majority of this teacher students are Americans (the school in very rich predominantly white neighborhood).

At the beginning of the year my daughter had couple play dates with her daughter, and we invited them to her birthday. This week we learned that their daughter had birthday and we were not invited.

My daughter likes the piano lessons. But I feel that this teacher does not teach my daughter as fast and as good as her other (American) students. Once she spoke half an hour by phone during lesson and so far never made up for the lost time.

In one month the recital of this teacher coming- where all 20 of her students will play in a very beautiful and lucrative concert space provided her for free by one very influential American family. She took my daughter's book and asked to leave it with her (that my daughter will practice only at her place) another theory book disappeared (she stated that she did return it, but we cannot find it at home, and my daughter told that she thinks that her book is at the teacher's house). The teacher asked us to buy bunch of other books and never uses them.
Yet, she states that my daughter is doing great, that she is very creative, that she likes to compose music and so on...things that the parent likes to hear.

So, what do you think, am I not getting this teacher's message to leave, or just abandon the idea of the recital, or go to recital but expect that my daughter will perform on lower level that anyone else?

Should I leave for now everything as it is? Or change the teacher (my daughter absolutely hates transitions)... sigh.

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 6:15 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• the site showed that my previous version of the question was not posted- please see Complicated, long (or very simple) question

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/813998/Complicated_long_or_very_simple_question
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 6:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• if possible take this version away, i posted it because for the previous one I got a note 'no question has been posted' or so.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 6:40 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Well if you are not happy with the teacher, then I would change. I would like my daughter to love doing what is she doing and if the teacher is not teaching then to me she is holding her back. However, I do understand about changing teachers, I am sure she will get used to it. Good Luck.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 7:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Here- my daughter IS NOT complaining, she used to like it more however and progressed faster. Lately near the recital, about a month and the half ago I feel that the teacher started to hold her back, to do less positive reinforcement, to practice staff less time and treat her slightly different. Then, the things I describe below happened.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 7:48 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• If you are worried about how your child is being treated or worried about things vanishing I would look for a new teacher.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:28 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I guess is not as simple as I wish it to be- my daughter very shy child, who adapt to changes very slow, it took me three month to persuade her to play at the recital, to adjust to piano practice and so... The new change can be not very healthy thing for her either...And one more thing. I do want my daughter to perform whatever it is in this lucrative place, since I know that she is not any worse in any quality than any other people who will be performing there.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 8:35 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• See how well she does at the recital. If in comparison she doesn't do as well well you can look into changing her music teacher for a better one. My daughter doesn't like changes as well but i do it a little at a time. i would suggest that you get another music teacher as well for a lesson or two a week and see how that goes see if there's improvement.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 9:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I would change if your not happy witht he teacher
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2011