Just call it For Sale, why don't ya?

This is just my little vent this morning. I've been scouring newspapers and web pages that help find lost dogs - my neighbor's dog has gone missing - anyhow, I kept seeing pets for adoption. And there's not a thing in the world wrong with finding a new home for an unwanted dog, or puppies or whatever.
But I just can't get with the term "Rehoming Fee"..... Yes, I know people ask for fair prices to help ensure that someone might care for an animal. But what gets my goat are "re-homing" fees into the hundreds. Let's just get real here - if you got a dog and found out that it's not gonna work out for you or the dog; by all means find the little guy a new home. But when you post pictures of a tiny little baby Chihuahua, with a bow on it's neck, posed in a coffee cup and a "rehoming fee" of $550 --- you are not re-homing that dog - you're selling it. So just say that you're selling it already.
(I have NOTHING against people finding dogs new homes)... I'm just getting sick of backyard breeders using that term to sell dogs, that they probably aren't qualified to breed to begin with. I've yet once found a reputable breeder that actually uses the term "rehome".... LOL I'll come take that little Yorkie off your hands - but I'm not giving you 700 bucks for it.... if I wanted to pay a price like that, I'd be searching for reputable, qualified, experienced breeders. (But alas both of my dogs are rescues).

Okay, soapbox evacuated. Vent over.
But don't it irritate you too when people try to use "industry terms" to sound legit when they're not? (not saying they ALL aren't legit - but the vast majority aren't).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Pets

• yes but i also know what they mean. they only use that term to work their way around words so people don't flag them. People get flagged CONSTANTLY and ive seen so many posted complaints about flagging but thats only if your trying to sell a baby pup, people suspect your breeding and selling so they make up words to avoid it sounding like that.

Also when you post up an ad, i think it tells you to that you can put up a "rehoming fee" but you can not be a breeder who sells. Thats where they get it.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:04 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I hope your neighbor gets their dog back. I hadn't noticed a fee for "rehoming" (hadn't looked). It didn't occur to me. When I think of rehoming I think of giving the dog to good people when it didn't work out in your own home. I guess I can see a fee, as you said, to insure they are sincere in wanting the animal for their own pet, but no, not in the hundreds.

Answer by Bmat at 8:07 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Yeah, I think you're right - I guess there just won't be an end to that rather "Redneck idea"..... "hey, I got a good looking dog and you got a good looking dog too - wanna breed em and make some money?" LOL Just because 2 dogs are of the same breed and "look pretty good" does not mean that breeding them is the right thing to do. My parents knew a guy who decided that he wanted to 'go into breeding"... and just got two dogs and went at it --- he got raided 5 years later and went to jail for operating a puppy mill. I guess that temptation to make a quick buck just means more to some people than the dogs' welfare or health. I went into a pet store over the weekend and they had puppies for sale - more "designer breeds" for "adoption". When I asked why the adoption fee was SO high $600 for a "Schnorkie"- the girl said "cuz we don't have to prove breeding with adoptions"..... hmmmmmm RED FLAG!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:15 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• When I posted my puppies on craigslist, I put that there was a rehoming fee... but the people who emailed/called me, once I knew they were interested in them as pets, I let em go without a charge... I just said I wanted money so only serious ppl would call me :D
    But yeah, I remember emailing a lady a couple years back about a dog and she wanted $300!
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 8:17 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Oh and I'm not a BYB... I had put my female in a room when I left and apparently my husband didn't put the doorknob on correctly so my male just casually pushed it open... oh I was so mad when I got home... and I was only gone about 10 minutes!

But that won't happen again :D
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 8:20 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I get ya, Gremlyn - and I KNOW it happens sometimes. My ex left my Rottie in the living room with his male mix -- then called me at work saying "don't kill me, but..." I had planned to get her fixed anyhow and her 1st cycle snuck up on me @ 7 months of age.... so I took her and got her fixed the very next morning. (being a large breed, he spay was gonna be expensive - charge by weight - so I was saving the 255 to get her done when the accident happened)I took the rest of the money I needed out of HIS video game rental budget. LOL served him right
    Accidental breedings do definitely happen.... but even some of those people try to call them "Designer Dogs" and sell them for huge prices. It's just ridiculous when puppies become nothing more than goods to be sold for profit. Reasonable 'rehoming fees' are fine... but when one exceeds or meets what a purebred, registered dog would be; then it's just greed.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:35 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• That drives me crazy too. You're definitely not alone. Another one that gets me- the excuses they give for needing to 'rehome', like DD has allergies, or we're moving, or whatever, and then they still want hundreds of dollars for a rehoming fee!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:37 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Dontcha love when you run into the ones who are moving AND have allergies AND don't have time for darling dog? LOL I always think "wonder what you'd say if I called you and said I'd pay for your allergy medicine, you can live in my rent house WITH the dog and I'll babysit it for you while you work" LOL
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:44 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• i totalyy get where you are coming from op.
    ibebreezy

Answer by ibebreezy at 9:00 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• It is the politically correct term now, rehoming sounds better than selling. I agree, it is just semantics and silly.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2011