Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Neighborhood kid problem

My neighborhood is crawling with kids. There are six girls between the ages of 7-9 within about ten houses. Plus a group of boys about 10-12. They are all good kids with the exception of one. This boy is 11 and runs the streets late at night, shoots at things with a pellet gun, writes curse words with sidewalk chalk in peoples driveways, and has been caught on tape playing with fire in the woods. He has also tormented the girls, teased dogs in backyards, and I caught him climbing my fence (we keep the gate locked). I don't know his parents very well. Just enough to say hi in passing. But something has to be done before the kid ends up in jail. Any ideas?

Answer Question

Asked by Shaken1976 at 7:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 20 (9,288 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • At 11 he wont go to jail so you should call the police. I had to do it myself with a couple neighborhood kids who threw a rock at my sons head. All they did was ticket them, give their parents a court date, and ended up in probation. It was more for the parents then the kids. The parents had to do certain things to insure their kids behaved, counseling etc. More often then not its a great eye opener for parents who otherwise have their head in the sand.

    Answer by gemgem at 8:00 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • I would speak to the parents about it, if they don't do anything then I agree with gemgem- you need to call the cops.

    Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:03 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • I'd just talk to the parents. Tell them that you are concerned for their son, since he is climbing fences and whatever, and he could be bitten! Also, playing with fire not only endangers the woods he's in, but himself and any houses nearby if the fire escapes or becomes out of control, and next time it happens, he should be reported. Let the cops scare the crap out of him!

    Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:28 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • I wonder if the parents even care. Maybe they work nights or aren't even home. My he is crying out for someone to pay attention....

    but then again....he might just be a troubled child.

    Talk to the parents and see how they react.

    Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 8:39 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • I agree that you should get the police involved

    Answer by elizabr at 8:40 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • Start video taping everything you see him doing... then take it too his parents. Kinda like the obnoxious tween I ran into last week - chances are his parents don't know what lil Jo-Jo is up to when he's out of the house. Poor people probably see the rest of the kids and think "they're all pretty good kids, and he's with them so he's in good company and not getting into trouble". Seriously, because 'some' parents can be so my-kid-does-no-wrong; I'd video tape him. Take it to them and tell them, "I didn't want to be a tattle tail, so I thought I'd let Lil Jo-Jo's actions speak for themselves; his behavior is causing concern and I wanted you to know".

    Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 8:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • i'd talk to the parents and if they were unresponsive the next time he did something dangerous i would report it to the police department

    Answer by ibebreezy at 8:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • First parents then follow up. Mention the climbing the fence, you said there's a tape with him setting things are fire... have it with you JIK they go the "my child can do no wrong" routine.... if the parents don't seem to care etc. then do cops.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:50 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.