Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My husband is going to try to adopt my son tomorrow monring......

I am so excited and so nervous his dad will just show up and try to fight. We haven't heard from him in months so I don't think he will show up but there is always a chance since he would never agree to sign rights over. Should we have like a celebration of some sort if my husband is awarded custody? My son says he is very happy about it and I believe him I just can't believe he is not a little upset that his dad he see's 5 times a year won't have custody.


Asked by Ethans_Ma at 8:21 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Adoption

Level 16 (2,945 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • Good Luck...and yes, if he IS able to adopt your son, I would have a heck of a party!

    Ok, nothing huge, just fun...with family and close friends.

    Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • If the dad is on the birth certificate, and has had contact within the last year, and continues to pay support, I hate to say that unless he signs his rights away, you more than likely wouldn't be able to get your husband to be able to adopt him. Did you serve the birth father with paperwork regarding the adoption? Because that's required, too.

    Answer by laird6372 at 8:27 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • if his bio dad is on the birth certificate you might have some problems

    Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:22 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • My daughter hasn't seen her bio dad since she was five months old. She is now eight. In order to have his rights terminated I have to hire an investigator to find him and serve him with papers. If he can't be found in a "reasonable" amount of time then my dd is assigned a gaurdian ad litem. They will determine whether or not my husband should adopt her.

    She calls him Daddy and uses his last name most of the time. He has been in her life since she was two. He IS her daddy. The other guy is a sperm donor.

    I wish you the best.

    Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:29 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • True he probably won't get custody but,unless,he gives up his rights,your hubby won't be able to adopt him. Sorry but,those r the facts.

    Answer by dancer at 8:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • Id biodads on the birth cert and shows up then you could lose. I wouldnt plan anything until you know for sure. If you do end up winning plan an adoption party so your son and your husband can celebrate being united officially, and invite friends and family. However, keep it under your hat for now. You never know.

    Answer by gemgem at 8:35 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • That sounds like a good idea gemgem. To answer some of the above questions he has been served and he is aware of court, he has only paid $85 the past year so my atty is trying to have his rights terminated for not supporting him. And if he does not show up for court we will by default. He does not have an attorney and I am thinking he just wont actually sign the papers because in 5-10 years he can blame it all on me and say he had no choice

    Comment by Ethans_Ma (original poster) at 8:44 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • Usually abandonment is if the other parent hasn't paid support in a year AND hasn't had contact with the child in a year. So be prepared for that...Just so you don't get too excited about it.

    I'd call the Courthouse and see if he's filed any paperwork...My DH's ex has filed a few last-minute things without him knowing about it.

    Answer by laird6372 at 8:53 AM on Apr. 18, 2011