How old is too old for a boy to be in diapers?

I made a big deal about him going in the potty when he turned 3. So we started and he's had 4 accidents in less than an hour. He tells me as he's peeing. But if he can't even hold it for 20 minutes is he really ready?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• everyone is different. He's 3...just keep working with him. Maybe he's really not ready.

As much as you want your child potty trained, it really is so much harder unless they WANT to do it.

Have you tried rewards?

Good Luck
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 8:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• The average age of potty training is 4.

Some kids only get trained just before kindergarden. It sounds like he isn't ready. He cannot hold his bladder. Hold off another 3-4 months a try again.

While YOU made a big deal of it, he wasn't ready yet. It won't work if it's you pushing him. It has to be fun. Try again later.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:42 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• He's not ready to train if this is what's happening. 4 accidents in an hour sounds like he could have a UTI. As far as how old is too old for diapers: They make them in all sizes from preemie to overweight adult. There are people who are born with nerve damage who cannot gain control. It's rare but it happens.  One of my sons trained at age 4.  This is one area when the child in is control so you need to follow his lead.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My son is 2 1/2 and we have been training for about 2 or 3 months. He refused for a while but now he rarely has an accident, he even slept in underwear last night!! (It was an accident I forgot to put his pull up on lol) but he gets a tootsie roll when he goes to the potty and we ask him constantly and sometimes have to force him to just sit on the potty when he says he doesn't have to go bc you can bet after 2 hours he has to go! But all kids are different, just keep trying and he will get it soon! GL
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 8:48 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• If he's peeing that frequently - you need to monitor his liquid intake or take him to a doctor to rule out a UTI or any other medical conditions.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:51 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Kids can't get control of their bladder until almost 4. I got that info from a pediatrician.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 8:52 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I was told the more you push the issue, the more time it will take. Each child is different and do things when they're ready. Someone at work had asked me if I was worried, I said: no, eventually, she will get it, it's not like she'll go to high school in diapers. I started putting underwear on her when I was home, each time for longer and longer. But eventually, it will happen
    joanie70

Answer by joanie70 at 8:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My friend has a son that will be 4 in Aug. who's not potty trained. What bothers me is that they keep him in diapers and don't even try. Whenever he comes over here he asks to go (copying my DD who's a year younger, mostly). Just give them an open opportunity to go at least. Stick a potty seat in what ever room he spends the most time and whenever he shows any interest, help him use it.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 9:17 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• No, HE is not ready. You might be but he is not. When he is ready, he won't be having accidents as much as you say he is.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• try getting him pull ups so he can get used to the "big boy" feeling because they are like underwear. And do rewards! Even a chart where you can put stickers and if he gets 20 stickers he gets a small toy. Even a toy from the dr store would mean alot. Or a book. GL I'm trying to work on poty training too lol boy is it hard.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:13 AM on Apr. 18, 2011